What are you DEHYDRATING today?

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have strings of hot peppers (mariachi peppers) hanging in my shed to dry. I am using my dehydrator to dry yellow squash. I throw in a handful whenever I make anything with mixed veggies.

lostsoulhelpmejebus

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
The sweet onions dry WONDERFULLY!! I basically peel and clean the onions then run them through the food processor. The sweet onions get even sweeter and store very well indeed.

When you dry them do them alone and if at all possible somewhere OUTSIDE of the house! The first time I did it I turned on the dehydrator and went to work. When I got home the whole was so onion-ie your eyes began to tear when you walked in the door!! :hit

Oh and welcome to the forum! :frow
I will definitely try your method...outside this weekend...LOL. Thanks for the heads up on the "scent", I would have probably done the same thing myself!

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Herbs herbs and more herbs....basils, thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary! Lavendar....

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I harvested most of the lemons today and zested some of them. The zest is now in the car drying. I hope to get a substantial amount, so I can use it as gifts this winter and for making cookies.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wouldn't I love to harvest citrus in my yard?!?

I am drying pears, pears and more pears.

Here's my problem with dehydrating--I do it to a dry but still flexible texture, and it all usually molds. How is it that I can buy dried pears from the store that are still chewy, but when I do this with mine they mold?

It seems a bit silly to dry, then freeze, although at least it is saving space that way...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yum! Bet your car smells delicious!

I have a second batch of walnut hulls going. I'm not sure if this is the right way to preserve them, as my searches bring up SOOO much junk. I do know I need the husks from green walnuts that I pick off the black walnut trees I have. I want to make my own herbal dewormer, and black walnut is a main ingredient. Does anyone know if I am going in the right direction?

BTW, it sure smells good!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
m&tg, it is called.....preservatives!! :rolleyes: Worth freezing, unless someone else jumps in with the answer....

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I wonder if coating them with ascorbic acid would prevent molding..?

Monique, we dry the entire walnut but with the skin/peel. Actually in the front of our patio door that we never use. Once it seems thouroughly dry we break them with a hammer.

:idunno

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Here's my problem with dehydrating--I do it to a dry but still flexible texture, and it all usually molds. How is it that I can buy dried pears from the store that are still chewy, but when I do this with mine they mold?
It seems a bit silly to dry, then freeze, although at least it is saving space that way...
Try pasteurizing your fruit AFTER you dehydrate it. Simply place it on a cookie sheet and pop it into the oven for a few minutes at 180 degrees. You want the fruit to be evenly heated but not begin to get toasty. This kills any microscopic encysted insect larva or eggs as well as mold spores and your fruit will last much longer simply sealed in a sterile canning jar or ziplock bag. Remember that once you open the package mold spores may be reintroduced.