What are you DEHYDRATING today?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I haven't tried cheese, but you can do it - just try using one thats lower in fat, its going to be a little oily so put a papertowel under it and change it every couple of hours.
I've seen internet posts (other places) of people drying the low fat hard cheeses, and things like cottage cheese etc..

Just try a little bit the first time in case its a bust for you. YOu will need to fiddle around on the rehydrating, adding in butter or something when you use the cheese.

(put the dehydrator outside for that onion - Pewwwww..... it can stink up a house in no time flat!)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks, Wildsky! I'll give it a try!

Yeah, I've heard that about the onions. My instruction booklet specifically says not to use it outside - oh well!! That's one time I'm not gonna go "by the book"! ;)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Thanks, Wildsky! I'll give it a try!

Yeah, I've heard that about the onions. My instruction booklet specifically says not to use it outside - oh well!! That's one time I'm not gonna go "by the book"! ;)
My patio is enclosed, so no chance of the dehydrator getting rained on or anything, we don't really use the area much, I pot plants and charge batteries, we leave all our shoes out there etc.. - it has lots of windows that open as well which is good when the onion is going!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have MORE squash and tomatoes in and more to do when those get done. AFTER giving a bunch away to my in-laws today..it's gonna be a loooong growing season :th

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I have apples and roll-ups going again today... :lol: those are so popular, they don't even last long enough to put in a bag! :rolleyes:

I am just itching for my apple's to ripen on the tree - we have HUNDREDS that are the size of golfballs right now.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I did my onions yesterday...it was supposed to rain, but I'm too impatient! ;) So I put the dehydrator on a low step-stool under a patio table, then when it looked like rain I draped a small tarp over the table (small enough that it didn't touch the deck, so there was still air circulating). It worked fine; the onions got dried & the dehydrator stayed dry too! And no stink in the house! :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a bunch of green bell peppers from the garden going in this morning.

You know I always dehydrate my onions inside. I love the smell. :hu

g

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Well, today I got my yearly splurge- an Excalibur. Only the economy 4 tray, but it's bigger than my ancient round white one that has trays that are so old they are yellow, brittle and cracking. (and I could probably guess and buy replacements on line, and I might- it's good to have two dehydrators. Right?) I have caught up on this thread for ideas- I love the hash brown potatoes idea! The website posted a few pages back says to cook the potatoes, cool, then shred and dry. Sounds like I can do that. And it is fruit season- strawberries are over, but blueberries are coming in. I ate the last of my dried blueberries the other day. I figured I may as well make room for new ones :D And now with the Excalibur I may try fruit leather- I've never done it, but it seems like the raspberries that are coming would lend themselves to that.