What are you fermenting today?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
ORChick said:
As to what I am fermenting today - just the usual: kefir, wine vinegar, and am trying to see if I can get some malt vinegar going. It isn't smelling very vinegar-y yet though, and has been on the counter for about 6 weeks so far.
What was your starter for the malt vinegar? anything with hops is going to take quite a while if it ferments at all. that is why hops is added to beer originally as a Preserative and now days for the bitter flavor.
After several years of making ACV I finally got a mother culture! So I thought I would give malt vinegar a try with the mother in a local microbrew ale (I think it was). It has been 2 months now, and, while the concoction doesn't smell particularly vinegar-y, after tasting it a few minutes ago I can say that it is definitely vinegar :D. So now I have active, live ACV, red and white wine vinegars, and malt - and a viable mother. I'm not too sure why I have gone to the trouble; they were/are fun experiments, but there is only so much vinegar that a family of 2 can consume :lol:. Good thing it doesn't go bad :).

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Picked my first 10 beets from the garden yesterday. Mostly Bulls Blood some of the Heirloom yellows I got from Baker Creek. Roasted and julienned. Now fermenting as per Nourishing Traditions Recipe. :drool

Love it!!!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Since my salsa ingredients are never ready at the same time, do you think it would be a good idea to ferment the ingredients separately? Then, once I get them all fermented, mix them together?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have never made the fermented salsa. I have heard everyone raving about it. I think Free might be the person to ask.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

g

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll soon have cilantro and chives coming out of my ears but we are 3 months away from tomatoes :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Since my salsa ingredients are never ready at the same time, do you think it would be a good idea to ferment the ingredients separately? Then, once I get them all fermented, mix them together?
Yes, I'd do that! Sometimes it gets too sour, and I think adding some fresh veggies would tone it down, too.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
That would be easy enough to do. With cilantro, it just doesn't taste right dried and frozen makes it too mushy. If I ferment them I have a much better chance at keeping a good flavor and texture.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Picked my first 10 beets from the garden yesterday. Mostly Bulls Blood some of the Heirloom yellows I got from Baker Creek. Roasted and julienned. Now fermenting as per Nourishing Traditions Recipe. :drool

Love it!!!!
So I took my beets out of the cupboard yesterday. Maybe someone can tell me if this is a problem. The liquid on the beets is kind of syrupy. I don't remember it being like this last time. They taste great and I tried them, I'm not dead. :p The only thing I can think of is the same consistency my kefir gets. That kinda goooy consistency.

Any ideas??

g

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Some of my stuff has gotten a bit thicker over time. I never worried about it and I am still alive too :D

Maybe just the natural starch reacting??

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That would make sense. Thanks.

Hey Wifezilla what do you know about the carb count of milk once it turns to kefir??

I mixed some kefir cheese and cream cheese as a veggie dip. But then I started thinking about how many carbs there are in milk. :barnie Just wondering. sorry to get off topic.

g