What are you fermenting today?

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made sauerkraut on Sunday. That counts, right? Tomorrow, I'm making yogurt.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I tasted the kombucha I started a week ago. It is so delish. Not at all the way the store stuff tastes and smells.

My beet kvas also turned syrupy-gooey. But I love the taste, a bit like pickled beets. But when I get a big glump, I am not too thrilled with the texture and I had to spit it out :sick

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I accidentally fermented some pea soup in the refridgerator. I didn't look at it that closely and just took a bite. It's got bubbles and tastes sour in a good way. My first thought was YUM! but then my brain realized it didn't taste a bit like pea soup.

Not sure what I did or how I did it or how to repeat it but it's good for now! :lol:

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My sourdough starter has started bubbling. it's very cold in our house though so it' not having an easy time of it. I'll try feeding it today, maybe it'll give it a bit of an energy boost.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
It's so cool to have someone from the southern hemisphere. We are suddenly hot here- nice to know someone is cool!

I started my kombucha for the very first experiment. I bought a bottle of ginger kombucha and it was so refreshing and delicious I just had to try to grow it! If it grows I will culture it up into my own large jar- right now I'm trying to get a scoby to grow in the bottle I bought and the dregs of another. They are unpasteurized and raw, so I have hope even though there isn't any real scoby in them.

If this doesn't work, I may be begging for a starter from someone!

veggielover

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I just learned that you can peel ginger root and store it in the freezer! I usually use my ginger grated and it can be grated frozen. Has anyone tried storing it this way. I cannot use alcohol as a preservative.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My sourdough starter is going along well. Got hooch on top and bubbling nicely, smelling sour now. I will feed it again tonight and let it keep on.

I'm looking for an easy saurkraut recipe as well. Any suggestions?

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just put the "Nourishing Traditions" kimchi recipe in the fridge. I grew regular cabbage so that was what I used. Turned out good enough that I will make more. My frozen ginger root is over 6 months old and still great. Will be making more fermented black beans with lots of garlic. My fridge gets so full of ferments it is hard to keep track of. What do you guys do to organize? I still have pickles from last year.