What are you fermenting today?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Free...how long do fermented food last? Like your peppers, salsa, kimchi? Just wondering how long they last and proper storage?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have sauerkraut in the fridge that I made last fall that is still fresh and good. It needs to go into cold storage (around 40 or so) once the active fermenting stage is done, usually 2-3 days. In times past, this was done in late fall and things were kept in crocks in the root cellar or cold spring house. I use a fridge. I've heard of people in climates where their unheated garage stays at 40 all winter, and they use the garage. But that is too risky for most of us, especially with the dramatic swings in weather and temp that we are experiencing nowadays. So I got my "fermenting and cheese-aging" fridge.

The term in the book is "indefinitely" or "for many months!"

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My stuff lasts about a week.....because that is how fast my boys eat everything! LOL

unaspenser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm a total fermenting virgin, but I really want to get in on it! I have two grape vines and the leaves are my first target (hopefully). I also have an apple tree and would love to try hard cider. I'm just going to watch this thread, and probably pipe up with questions soon.

Any suggestions for n00bs?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
unaspenser said:
I'm a total fermenting virgin, but I really want to get in on it! I have two grape vines and the leaves are my first target (hopefully). I also have an apple tree and would love to try hard cider. I'm just going to watch this thread, and probably pipe up with questions soon.

Any suggestions for n00bs?
The younger the grape leaf the better according to my Armenian Godmother.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I have sauerkraut in the fridge that I made last fall that is still fresh and good. It needs to go into cold storage (around 40 or so) once the active fermenting stage is done, usually 2-3 days. In times past, this was done in late fall and things were kept in crocks in the root cellar or cold spring house. ....
My grandparents made sauerkraut in autumn after cabbage harvest. Nobody ate any sauerkraut (which was made in an old crock and kept in the cellar) until New Year's Day. According to my European-born maternal grandparents, that was for luck. :D

After New Year's Day, we ate it frequently - even with stuffed cabbage. I think my favorite way is as sauerkraut soup with tarhonya. :drool

ETA: I am still waiting to see BBH's pic of K.Tea gone bad.... :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That is interesting kel. I have always LOVED sauerkraut! My grandma used to force feed even those in the family who hated it - sauerkraut on New Year's day for luck.

I would imagine the original use was to make sure it was nicely fermented before sampling it.

I would love to be a success at the stuff. I tried it once and somehow REALLY messed it up!