What are you planning to plant?

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've made a decision. I'll grow what I know does well and not waste my energy on stuff that won't grow in my shady yard.

edamame
spinach
scallions
herbs

Does anyone know anything else that may work out OK in a space like this? It gets only about 5 hours of sun total. Tomatoes, peppers and eggplants are out of the question, but I may put out a couple of containers on my patio for a few of them.

Still happy about my trustworthy mulberries, blackberries and raspberries! Plus we'll get ourselves another CSA farm share.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
baby bok choy
chinese cabbage
daikon radish

Those might work.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
baby bok choy
chinese cabbage
daikon radish

Those might work.
I've tried the daikon radish, but no good. I'll try the cabbage and bok choy. Thanks!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
I've made a decision. I'll grow what I know does well and not waste my energy on stuff that won't grow in my shady yard.

edamame
spinach
scallions
herbs

Does anyone know anything else that may work out OK in a space like this? It gets only about 5 hours of sun total. Tomatoes, peppers and eggplants are out of the question, but I may put out a couple of containers on my patio for a few of them.

Still happy about my trustworthy mulberries, blackberries and raspberries! Plus we'll get ourselves another CSA farm share.
ANY salad greens,lettuces, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, beets, brussell sprouts, radishes, swiss chard, collard greens, mustard greens, spinach, kale, beans....LOTS of things you can grow in shady areas ;)

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have trouble keeping up with the bolting greens. Any advice on this?
I've tried broccoli and brussel sprouts and failed. Peas and beans were mediocre.
Like I said, the first 2 years my garden was fabulous and slowly declined with the following years. At first I thought it was my soil and had it tested. It was a little alkaline from the compost I add so I added sulfer. This was last season and it turned out terrible still. All I got was edamame, scallions, basil, parsley and a handful of green beans, snow peas and a few cukes. Very disapointing!

I should add that I majored in horticulture and worked in the field for years, so it's also quite embarrassing!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
I've tried broccoli and brussel sprouts and failed. Peas and beans were mediocre.
Like I said, the first 2 years my garden was fabulous and slowly declined with the following years. At first I thought it was my soil and had it tested. It was a little alkaline from the compost I add so I added sulfer. This was last season and it turned out terrible still. All I got was edamame, scallions, basil, parsley and a handful of green beans, snow peas and a few cukes. Very disapointing!

I should add that I majored in horticulture and worked in the field for years, so it's also quite embarrassing!
You don't have to give too much detail, but knowing what growing zone/general region you're in might help folks hone in on a solution.

In Ohio, my greens bolt when they are hot and dry. By choosing varieties less prone to bolt, like Romaine Lettuce, keeping things moist and fairly closely picked, I stretch it as far as I can - and when it does bolt, the hens get a feast. :)

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
mrbstephens said:

You don't have to give too much detail, but knowing what growing zone/general region you're in might help folks hone in on a solution.

In Ohio, my greens bolt when they are hot and dry. By choosing varieties less prone to bolt, like Romaine Lettuce, keeping things moist and fairly closely picked, I stretch it as far as I can - and when it does bolt, the hens get a feast. :)
I'm in zone 7. The soil is sandy.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
FarmerJamie said:
mrbstephens said:

Have you tried carrots?
You would need to start them very early, but they love sandy soil.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
mrbstephens said:
FarmerJamie said:

Have you tried carrots?
Carrots were fabulous the first couple of years but didn't do well after that. :(

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
mrbstephens said:
Have you tried carrots?
Carrots were fabulous the first couple of years but didn't do well after that. :(
I say it sounds like depleted soil.
With it being sandy you are losing the fertility of the soil faster then if it were less porus.