What are you planning to plant?

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I agree. Or straw bale beds. Heck, I grew sweet potatoes in a feed bag filled with dirt. Who needs good land? :gig
I have too much shade. Even if I removed every tree in my yard, my neighbor's trees make lots of shade on my property. I did well 3 years ago and then every year that followed the shade covered more of my garden. Last year was the WORST! The only thing that did well was my edamame which I think actually appreciates a little shade. I do get mulberries by the truck load, raspberries and blackberries.

Remember me? I'm the one with the house that's for sale and have been praying for a buyer so I can buy this fabulous 3 1/2 acre lot to build a little homestead on. :rolleyes:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
Wifezilla said:
I agree. Or straw bale beds. Heck, I grew sweet potatoes in a feed bag filled with dirt. Who needs good land? :gig
I have too much shade. Even if I removed every tree in my yard, my neighbor's trees make lots of shade on my property. I did well 3 years ago and then every year that followed the shade covered more of my garden. Last year was the WORST! The only thing that did well was my edamame which I think actually appreciates a little shade. I do get mulberries by the truck load, raspberries and blackberries.

Remember me? I'm the one with the house that's for sale and have been praying for a buyer so I can buy this fabulous 3 1/2 acre lot to build a little homestead on. :rolleyes:
Oohhhh :hugs
Maybe you can stage your house and have a special viewing day.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
mrbstephens said:
Wifezilla said:

Been there, done that.......many times. :th

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
mrbstephens said:

Been there, done that.......many times. :th
Double hugs then :hugs :hugs

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I placed my Baker Creek order yesterday. I stuck to practical things that I know my family will eat and we can use regularly. Green beans, lettuces, carrots, snow peas etc....

I can't wait to get some stuff going. I think I might look over the calender and see if it's to early to start some seeds in my laundry room.

g

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm focusing on stuff that's either harder to find here or are expensive in the store (including some seeds from Damummis here! :frow):
italian peppers, heirloom tomatoes, witloof chicory

and then a few stand-by veggies that we eat a lot of:
eggplant, peas, greenbeans, kale,

and of course herbs and garlic

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
WEll here is my still yet unofficial list of things I want to plant, not sure what will be excluded yet:

Tomato
Green beans
corn
okra
squash
garlic
onions
potatoes
basil
jalapenos
cilantro
carrots
strawberries
watermelon
sunflowers
wheat
cucumbers
mint
cumin
millet
paprika
cayenne
banana peppers
bell peppers
artichokes
peas
turnips
and
a money tree :p

I'm sure I have forgotten something.....and sure I will shorten the list eventually if I run out of space.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiogoatgirl said:
farmerlor: if you don't have much space then you could plant your corn and then when its about knee high you can plant beans or peas or cucumbers or lots of different things. then you get corn and whatever other veggie from the same space. and you can plant pumpkins or squash to grow along the ground and act as a living mulch so you get three crops from one space and with less weeding!

just a suggestion :D
Oh hon, I have almost an acre in garden it's just that the tomatoes are my number one priority and if there's any extra space I'm gonna grab it for more tomatoes or more potatoes. It's just that a stalk of corn takes about 3 square feet of space and I can get five ears out of that. In that same amount of space I can get about a bushel of tomatoes or a little over 5 pounds of potatoes. The numbers say that corn just isn't going to be a priority for me and it's certainly not a priority on the nutrition scale but the fam does like it fresh so I may plant just a couple of rows. I can't even justify the space it take to grow the peppers I NEED for my salsa so I toss them in containers. LOL!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
ohiogoatgirl said:
farmerlor: if you don't have much space then you could plant your corn and then when its about knee high you can plant beans or peas or cucumbers or lots of different things. then you get corn and whatever other veggie from the same space. and you can plant pumpkins or squash to grow along the ground and act as a living mulch so you get three crops from one space and with less weeding!

just a suggestion :D
Oh hon, I have almost an acre in garden it's just that the tomatoes are my number one priority and if there's any extra space I'm gonna grab it for more tomatoes or more potatoes. It's just that a stalk of corn takes about 3 square feet of space and I can get five ears out of that. In that same amount of space I can get about a bushel of tomatoes or a little over 5 pounds of potatoes. The numbers say that corn just isn't going to be a priority for me and it's certainly not a priority on the nutrition scale but the fam does like it fresh so I may plant just a couple of rows. I can't even justify the space it take to grow the peppers I NEED for my salsa so I toss them in containers. LOL!
My understanding is that corn does well in blocks, which takes less space than rows and is higher productivity for a small garden. Native Americans planted "three sisters" which was corn, beans and squash, together. beans used the corn as a pole and the squash acted as a mulch.

Here's an article on Three Sisters planting. Just another idea.