What are you planning to plant?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wannabefree, do you know if that money tree of yours will grow in my area? If so can I have some seeds?? Or a graft?

thanks,

g
:D

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
farmerlor said:
ohiogoatgirl said:
farmerlor: if you don't have much space then you could plant your corn and then when its about knee high you can plant beans or peas or cucumbers or lots of different things. then you get corn and whatever other veggie from the same space. and you can plant pumpkins or squash to grow along the ground and act as a living mulch so you get three crops from one space and with less weeding!

just a suggestion :D
Oh hon, I have almost an acre in garden it's just that the tomatoes are my number one priority and if there's any extra space I'm gonna grab it for more tomatoes or more potatoes. It's just that a stalk of corn takes about 3 square feet of space and I can get five ears out of that. In that same amount of space I can get about a bushel of tomatoes or a little over 5 pounds of potatoes. The numbers say that corn just isn't going to be a priority for me and it's certainly not a priority on the nutrition scale but the fam does like it fresh so I may plant just a couple of rows. I can't even justify the space it take to grow the peppers I NEED for my salsa so I toss them in containers. LOL!
My understanding is that corn does well in blocks, which takes less space than rows and is higher productivity for a small garden. Native Americans planted "three sisters" which was corn, beans and squash, together. beans used the corn as a pole and the squash acted as a mulch.

Here's an article on Three Sisters planting. Just another idea.
that's what i was talking about. i'm goin to plant mine in hills with 4 corn, 4 beans, and 1 pumpkin seed per hill.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Ooo, add ground cherries to my list. I'll be getting seeds from a friend. She gave me started plants last year. She grows them for pickling and for treats for her sheep! I had good luck with them in containers on the deck until I lapsed on watering them.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiogoatgirl said:
AnnaRaven said:
farmerlor said:
Oh hon, I have almost an acre in garden it's just that the tomatoes are my number one priority and if there's any extra space I'm gonna grab it for more tomatoes or more potatoes. It's just that a stalk of corn takes about 3 square feet of space and I can get five ears out of that. In that same amount of space I can get about a bushel of tomatoes or a little over 5 pounds of potatoes. The numbers say that corn just isn't going to be a priority for me and it's certainly not a priority on the nutrition scale but the fam does like it fresh so I may plant just a couple of rows. I can't even justify the space it take to grow the peppers I NEED for my salsa so I toss them in containers. LOL!
My understanding is that corn does well in blocks, which takes less space than rows and is higher productivity for a small garden. Native Americans planted "three sisters" which was corn, beans and squash, together. beans used the corn as a pole and the squash acted as a mulch.

Here's an article on Three Sisters planting. Just another idea.
that's what i was talking about. i'm goin to plant mine in hills with 4 corn, 4 beans, and 1 pumpkin seed per hill.
Yep - I saw that you posted that, after I'd already responded. Sorry.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hen, last year I grew two just enormous ground cherries in two different spots. I couldn't figure out when to pick. Wifezilla kindly explained "When the fall on the ground" well duh on me!!! :smack The problem was that I would have cookie sheets full of berries but only a few at a time would be yellow/ripe enough to eat. So that's what I did. I ate like 4 berries a day until the sheet was bare.

Do you or your friend have any suggestions??? How do yo use them if they all ripen at different times?

:idunno
g

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Wannabefree, do you know if that money tree of yours will grow in my area? If so can I have some seeds?? Or a graft?

thanks,

g
:D
PM me your address and we'll see :lol:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Hen, last year I grew two just enormous ground cherries in two different spots. I couldn't figure out when to pick. Wifezilla kindly explained "When the fall on the ground" well duh on me!!! :smack The problem was that I would have cookie sheets full of berries but only a few at a time would be yellow/ripe enough to eat. So that's what I did. I ate like 4 berries a day until the sheet was bare.

Do you or your friend have any suggestions??? How do yo use them if they all ripen at different times?

:idunno
g
She pickled hers, ate a lot fresh and fed 'em to her sheep. I'd ask her for a recipe but she tends to make things up as she goes and probably won't remember. I just ate mine!

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My MIL had this issue with a raspberry she liked. In the first couple years she had it, it only put out a couple berries at a time. So she popped them into a bag in the freezer when they were ripe and just kept adding to it as they ripened over the season.

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Herbs)

Basil
Thyme
Oregano
Dill
Chives
Rosemary
Italian flat leaf parsley
Tarragon
Sage (from last year)
(May do some tea stuff too)

Spring garden:
Mesculin mix
Spinach
Lettuce- Buttercrunch, maybe some mini-heads of lettuce
carrots- Nantes
Radishes - Watermelon radish and french breakfast
Asparagus crowns
Strawberry plants (Have a patch, going to plant in 25 more)
Sugar snap peas

Summer Garden:
San Marzano toms
Roma toms
Black Krim toms
Sugar baby watermelon
Cukes (slicing & pickle)
Pepper (bell)
Jalepeno
Eggplant (black beauty)
Pole beans (Blue kentucky maybe?)
Onions (not sure if i'm doing these)

Fall garden:
Brussel sprouts
Brocolini
Chard
Carrots( nantes)
Radish (easter egg)
Mesculin mix again
Cabbage possibly
Pok choi

I also have Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, elderberries, pear tree, rhubarb going from last year. So I have quite a busy garden :) I'd like to add onto the berries, minus the elderberries. I WILL be adding strawberries, not sure about the rasp/blues/grapes yet.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Still working on the finalized list:

Already producing and in the ground and producing each year:
Blueberries (Patriot and another variety I can't remember)
Asparagus - 3rd summer in the raised bed, last year's crop was small, but good!
Salsify - this will go to seed this year, so I need to decide if I'm going to keep it or not

Tomatoes - looking for about 30-40 plants, multiple varieties
Peppers - looking for about 20-30 plants, multiple varieties, 1/2 sweet, 1/2 hot
Black Beans
Eggplant - 6 plants
Melons - several varieties about 10 plants in total, trying some heirlooms
Squash - crookneck yellow - 8 hills
Zukes - 8 hills
Lettuce - Black Seeded Simpson, Simpson Elite and Romaine
Spinach
Potatoes - Yukon Gold and all-purpose varieties.
Cabbbage
Red Beets, red beets, red beets!

Gonna try onions in containers this year. Radishes, carrots, just a few to eat fresh

Goal is to can as much as is possible.