What are you thankful for today?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
An exploding tire can injure or kill. Thanks to God above and his protective Angels!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am thankful for strength to get through my work days. They are long and hard. Not long in terms of hours, but long in terms of periods of physical stress on this aging body. It is hard work to facilitate movement in some of the folks I work with. Many of them outweigh me by 100# or more, and several of them are a foot taller. I am thankful for the work hours I do have. We've been repeatedly slammed, with bills above and beyond the expected monthly and annual budget. I am thankful that my God always provides! On paper, there is no way to keep up with it. But, month by month, the bills always get paid on time. When ever my self talk says it can't be done, I have to re-adjust my thinking. It CAN be done, and it WILL be done. He has always accomplished it in the past, and He will continue to do so. Not by my power, but, by HIS.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Toads! I'm seeing little baby toads in the yard. Today, while mowing, I had to stop to "rescue" 2 li'l toads from the lawn and put them into the garden. One of them had a bad case of attitude. When I took him out of his bucket, he landed on his back. He just laid there, playing dead. Finally, he opened an eye and glanced around. He took one look at me and decided he'd try to scare me away! Opened his mouth REAL, REAL wide. That li'l guy's mouth was as big as he was! Reminded me of Hungry Mungry. If you're not familiar with that character, it's a Shel Silverstein poem well worth reading to any kids in your life!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Interesting. Is everyone getting a salary review? Or does it coincide with your hire date anniversary? I hope you get a nice pay raise. Unfortunately, pay and hour cuts are more the status quo here in the medical field. If your review was along the lines of a cut, everyone would be seeing that across the board. Perhaps they've been underpaying you, and they need to make up the difference!!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Interesting. Is everyone getting a salary review? Or does it coincide with your hire date anniversary? I hope you get a nice pay raise. Unfortunately, pay and hour cuts are more the status quo here in the medical field.

In the 20 plus years I've never had a formal scheduled meeting called "salary review". He gave me a bit of a bump last year albeit small and I let him know in a professional way, that I wasn't all that excited about the small increase. That was just an informal conversation and not a formal meeting.

So maybe he's coming back this year with a bigger increase or maybe it could just be they want me to be a manager again which I have refused multiple times. I don't mind giving work direction to various teams. But I don't want to have to buy stock in the Kleenex company, because everyone comes crying to me with there personal problems. Or maybe its a decrease or lay off. Heck IDK its anyone's guess... I have a great relationship with my boss so this is completely out of character for him.

Its only a 15 minute meeting so whatever he has to say is going to be short, without much conversation.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can say that I've not had a pay increase in the last 10 years! Overall, the profession has weathered a number of storms that usually result in lay offs, pay cuts, hour reductions.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can say that I've not had a pay increase in the last 10 years! Overall, the profession has weathered a number of storms that usually result in lay offs, pay cuts, hour reductions.

Yeah the medical (health) sector took a bit hit when the dems mucked with it. I still remember seeing a business news report on all the sectors at the start of the recession. All sectors were down but the health sector which was good and healthy. Then like the next month or two the "we have to pass it before we know what's in it" oboma care bill was signed into law and well the rest is history.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter any news on your salary review?

It appears that my per diem hours are taking an other hit. Admits are down, as are patients who will benefit from therapy. I am thankful for the few hours I do get.

I am thankful for the wonderful summer we've had, and the produce from the garden. I am thankful that our wood for the season is purchased.

I am thankful that I live where I can grow much of my own food. I am thankful that we have the tools and the capability to do most of our home repairs, and that we can build what ever we need in the way of farmstead equipment.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter any news on your salary review?

It appears that my per diem hours are taking an other hit. Admits are down, as are patients who will benefit from therapy. I am thankful for the few hours I do get.

I am thankful for the wonderful summer we've had, and the produce from the garden. I am thankful that our wood for the season is purchased.

I am thankful that I live where I can grow much of my own food. I am thankful that we have the tools and the capability to do most of our home repairs, and that we can build what ever we need in the way of farmstead equipment.

Yep... He offered me a management position again, with a slight bump in salary. Of course i declined, which he already knew I would. So no raise this year, since I'm at 112.3% of the market average salary range for my industry's job title.

My boss said he wants me to help raise some of the team that are in the 70's%. "Help" means "voluntold", therefore it's now my responsibility to train these bone heads and give them more responsibilities. So i can prpve to my boss they are worthy of raises next year. He sent me all the information on 5 team members, and a salary goal for each of them. I didn't appreciate knowing their salaries, but it is what it is.

Like I said before... I refuse to be a personal manager, but I have no problems training people and giving them work direction.

Last edited:

Latest posts