What are you thankful for today?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am thankful for my hubby. Even though he's a city boy (with country benefits), he is always willing and able to lend a hand with my "MANY" projects.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am thankful for air conditioning. Temps were 99* today with a heat index of 108*. Our power went off a couple of weeks ago, we were 1 of 85,000. Found out real quick that a mobile home is not sustainable in the heat. We left and went to town to eat supper and soak up the ac until ours came back on hours later.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The weather has cooled down here....the turning point of summer into fall has arrived with cooler nights and clearer, less humid days. For that I'm so very thankful!!!

Bay, I sympathize with the mobile home without power in the summer thing...a few years back we had a derecho came through, blew down many trees and we were without power for almost two weeks in the hottest part of summer.

We put trash cans under downspouts for watering the animals and after dark I'd go out there and wash up in the rain barrels, then dip my nightgown in the water, ring it out and wear it wet to bed. The evaporation of the water helped me be cooler through the night. That was before we even put in ACs here, so mostly were missing the window fans.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am also thankful for AC. I get ill if I over heat. And... I over heat very easily. Fall temps have arrived here also. It was 46* 2 nights ago. Still gets plenty hot during the day.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Today my heart is filled to overflowing with gratitude!!! The good Lord is always providing for me and loving me in a million ways, but today is a special blessing!

@milkmansdaughter is coming to my homestead!!!!! :weee:celebrate:love Not only that, she comes bearing a gift from afar. @Farmfresh was good enough to sell me her very best lamb ram of the season, get him prepped for interstate travel(a LOT of bother, mind you), and MMD is transporting him here to me in WV, all the way from MO! :th

What seemed like a light and jesting comment by FF about how she would love to sell me her ram lamb snowballed into @TexasLisa bankrolling the gas for the drive, MMD doing the transport and FF actually selling me her good stock. :th I am completely and totally blown away by all this generosity, kindness and love...been walking on air for days now, just thanking God over and over for these wonderful women I know but have never personally met.

God moves in such mysteriously intricate ways in this life to bring His plans together. I praise Him for His ways! :celebrate

Romans 11:33: "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!"

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And, I'm just sitting here in Maine, also thankful for the delight of this transaction. Can't wait to see pics of that Ram as he inspects his Ewes! When will he be allowed dating privileges?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
And, I'm just sitting here in Maine, also thankful for the delight of this transaction. Can't wait to see pics of that Ram as he inspects his Ewes! When will he be allowed dating privileges?

Not until November! :D Poor guy. He's still a baby, though, so the urge may not be hitting him hard just yet, though they are fully ready to breed at 3 mo. of age...I've heard even younger. I saw him doing the ewe checking moves to his sisters on one of FFs vids. ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hopefully, you can use the next few months to get him fully obedience trained to your liking before the hormone surge starts.

Everything I've read is that the less I handle him, the better, so I'm thinking the only training he will receive is come when feed is rattled in a bucket or feed pan and to never, EVER make an aggressive move towards a human....the thunder and lightning will descend in a big way when first he even backs up a few steps with his head down, preparing to butt.

I'd seriously love to have him halter trained and all, but I think I'll restrict my training to the wether and the ewes.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My friend grew up on a dairy farm and his mom would train the cows to respect her when they were just little stinkers. She would grab them by their lower jaw and tip them over. When they are little, spindly legged things, it is really easy to do. They learned quick that when she grabbed their jaw, they would freeze in place. He says it was really funny to see a full grown Holstein go from butthead to statue in less than 1 second. She would hold them like that for about a minute and put her face down and tell them to behave! - maybe less than a minute, but it was enough to strike fear through their brain. When she let them loose, they would turn and calmly walk to their stall... She was a small but mighty woman.

Latest posts