What are your kids doing today?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Congratulations on her graduation!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I bet Jamie! They're always our babies!!

DS2 is watching intently for tractors, airplanes, and birds.

DS10 is "driving me crackers" to quote @sumi. He's being slow and leaving messes behind as a control and procrastination tactic. 1 p.m. and hasn't started school or chores yet. :barnie

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise did you get DS to do chores/school?

My daughter learned not to put down her rooster protection stick, he sneak attacked her. Yeah... He needs to go, I know. I did retaliate.

We read a lot of books today. She's learned, (as in I've formally taught), 13 letters but recognizes all but a few most of the time. So she's learning, when I read a title for example, which word is which based off the letter it starts with. So pre-reading skills, she's proud! We also played find the word based off the beginning sound.

Bedtime routine has been difficult with how light it is in the evening. She thinks this means she doesn't have to go to bed! So that makes me even more tired! Lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DS10 read aloud from Einstein for Dummies while I weeded and while DH and I assembled the kids' new swingset (gift from grandma). Doing ACT study flashcards with me now in between 5 minute chores. No idea what his issue was this morning. We had errands and his last piano lesson to break up the day.

Pre-reading is so fun! Enjoy!! :love

Naughty rooster! I'm sorry. Birds freak me out. I hate nasty roosters.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my hens pecked my boot today. I was like no.... Not you too! Lol, I am not a bird person at all!

It is fun! My daughter is super smart but I'm not pushing too hard, I want her to enjoy learning. I can already tell she's not going to be into sitting at the kitchen table and doing papers (not that I teach like that), she's going to want to move, create, explore, etc. Very hands on kid. Like her dad. But also loves to listen to books, I think she'll be a reader too.

Einstein for Dummies. I bet it would teach me a thing or two! Lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yup! Reading aloud is a life-saver! Only way I can keep up. And now he's getting to material that is legitimately interesting.

I'm looking forward to doing it all again with DS2!! Not quite to pre-reading yet. He's interested and ready and I could push it. I could have taught him the rest of the alphabet by at 2. I could have taught him sightwords since he loves flashcards and is very good at discrimination. But what's the point? Rushing in pre-K just makes elementary school more unbearable. Schooling a kid who is "gifted" is more like getting dragged by a goofy labradoodle on a leash. Parents of those kids aren't pushy, they're searching for the brakes! :hide Don't be too worried about being pushy, or about people thinking you are. We don't get to pick our children, and their academic performance is almost completely out of parent's and school's control. Whatever. Let haters hate and don't be bashful of your daughter's abilities. :old

I'm anticipating doing school on the swingset in good weather.:ya

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yup I didn't even bother starting until she was 3. Loves flashcards? Ooh I wish! That doesn't fly with mine. Her birthday is in October so she wouldn't be starting kindergarten if she was in public school until October 2018! I'll be starting to get a little more serious about it this fall.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Both mine adore flashcards! Thank goodness! They'll quiz each other on flashcards too, so that takes even more work off me.

DS2 has wildlife flashcards from Nat Geo Little Kids magazine. He loves them so much! And he steals my ipad just to watch a video of himself doing flashcards. :love

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well it's not really a lack of ability, she's perfectly capable. I taught special education in public school and worked with kids of all different abilities. I just want kids to be kids and think that it's rushed too much in school. All of our schools now have full day kindergarten, which I think is tragic. My daughter spends more time learning by doing, which I think is more natural to her way of learning. She learns very quickly.