What can I make

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
Here is a spin on something we like to eat.

Saute chicken breasts cut in pieces add pieces of broccoli, garlic, and green peppers.
Season with a Chinese type seasonings: garlic powder, ginger, tumeric, salt, soy sauce or whatever suits you. Cook your pasta. Saute pasta in a small amount of sesame oil or whatever you have on hand. Add chicken and vegetables to pasta and then add peanut butter. Sorry I don't have an exact recipe. I usually just throw things together.
I do have fresh ginger in the fridge from a different meal project - so I can use some of that grated up...
I would skip the peanut butter - cause I'm picky too, both kids would eat it but my siblings used peanut butter to tease me as a kid and I won't touch the stuff. :gig

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Fried potatoes with onions, peppers, and garlic! We put corn in ours too!

Perogie casserole if you have the lasagna noodles.

Broccoli and cheese rice.

Chicken flavored rice with shredded chicken in it.

Bacon quiche if you have eggs! YUMMO!! You can throw some mushrooms, peppers, and onions into one side to make a kid friendly side and an adult side!

Pizza casserole if you have some sausage or pepperoni.
OK Cancel this - I'll be at your house for dinner :drool

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
PamsPride said:
Fried potatoes with onions, peppers, and garlic! We put corn in ours too!

Perogie casserole if you have the lasagna noodles.

Broccoli and cheese rice.

Chicken flavored rice with shredded chicken in it.

Bacon quiche if you have eggs! YUMMO!! You can throw some mushrooms, peppers, and onions into one side to make a kid friendly side and an adult side!

Pizza casserole if you have some sausage or pepperoni.
OK Cancel this - I'll be at your house for dinner :drool
Come on over! Tomorrow nights dinner is going to be 3 whole roasted chickens, fresh mashed potatoes (have to say FRESH because they will not be coming from a box! Especially not when I have at least 400#'s of potatoes sitting in my kitchen!) Corn from the freezer and I am going to try to make some more homemade bread tomorrow.
ETA: We will probably have home canned applesauce to go with it!

If you make the pizza casserole you can fry up some homemade potato chips to go with it! My kids devour those!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I've fried up thin shaved potato before - but it never last long around here.

I love REAL mashed potato, with the small chunky bits - you can't get that out a box. Mashed with butter and Milk - YUM!

I wish I had someone to cook for me, even just two times a week. :rolleyes:

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Pretty big choice of good eats, I could make at least 30 different meals from what you posted.

Hey if the kids don't wanna eat what is for dinner/supper/breakfast tell them to go without and move on. They won't die if they miss a meal, and they might explore what is for dinner the following evening.

If the kids don't wanna eat around these parts, we fix good meals, sometimes soul food, sometimes good food, and sometimes pot luck. It is what it is, food, be thankful....

I am not kidding, if they want dinner, they will eat.... And they always do..... Or else they know they will go to bed without.... Its that simple around here...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Woodland Woman said:
Here is a spin on something we like to eat.

Saute chicken breasts cut in pieces add pieces of broccoli, garlic, and green peppers.
Season with a Chinese type seasonings: garlic powder, ginger, tumeric, salt, soy sauce or whatever suits you. Cook your pasta. Saute pasta in a small amount of sesame oil or whatever you have on hand. Add chicken and vegetables to pasta and then add peanut butter. Sorry I don't have an exact recipe. I usually just throw things together.
I do have fresh ginger in the fridge from a different meal project - so I can use some of that grated up...
I would skip the peanut butter - cause I'm picky too, both kids would eat it but my siblings used peanut butter to tease me as a kid and I won't touch the stuff. :gig
I don't have anything to add to the idea at hand; however, re: fresh ginger -If you can get it in quantity, I like to peel it, and dunk it in a glass jar, and cover with alcohol of some type (vodka, usually, in my case). This keeps it quite well, several years in my experience. I buy ginger annually, when I return to the San Francisco Bay Area, and have access to my favorite Indian market.

Cheaper and fresher than anything I can get here. So, please return to regular programming.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
Pretty big choice of good eats, I could make at least 30 different meals from what you posted.

Hey if the kids don't wanna eat what is for dinner/supper/breakfast tell them to go without and move on. They won't die if they miss a meal, and they might explore what is for dinner the following evening.

If the kids don't wanna eat around these parts, we fix good meals, sometimes soul food, sometimes good food, and sometimes pot luck. It is what it is, food, be thankful....

I am not kidding, if they want dinner, they will eat.... And they always do..... Or else they know they will go to bed without.... Its that simple around here...
I know my kids are terribly spoiled by me trying to make things they'll actually like and eat.
My sister has an eating disorder, and I'm terrified my kids will end up with something like that. The rule when we were kids was you don't leave the table till your plate is empty, needless to say my sister learned real fast to eat it and go to the bathroom.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky, I hear ya! I'm gonna rant here, no advice wanted really.
I've been in this same boat for awhile. I usually make the kids shut up and eat what I fix, but it wears me down just knowing that the complaints are in their heads and on their faces. I don't know how they got so picky! Up until age 4 or 5 they ate anything and everything. Now, hardly anything. They just ruin the joy of cooking for me. :/
My kids don't like sauces, dips, casseroles, soups, stews, wraps, quiche, beans, and basically anything that mixes 2 foods together, except pizza. They will eat plain meat with plain veggies and plain rice. No salad dressing, no toppings. I'm bored outta my mind.
I come from a family of food lovers so it kills me.

I have a sirloin thawing on the counter and no idea what to do with it. *I* would love it smothered in mushroom gravy. Or pepper steak. :drool

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
With a couple other pantry staples this are the dinners would make. Granted I know we do not have the same pantry storage or children.

Chili Mac corn bread
Meatloaf/ noodles/ veggie
Grilled chicken Breast/ rice/ veggie
Bacon would be fried and used for pot of soup. celery/ onion / carrots
Chick breast/ Pot pie/ baked pumpkin on the side
chick Breast / Chicken Lentil chili
A corn/ potato chowder with chunks of chicken.

One thing to remember on those picky kids. Their taste bud change as they grow. We use the one bite no thank you rule. Some are more stubborn than others. When I make a stew or soup my 5yo is required to eat the meat and carrots. I know she likes those. The other two have been through this as well and they don't complain anymore.

Good luck!!!

g

Edited... When my son was young we would have him clan his plate. He got fat. Now with my girls I realize they don't really need all that much food. That's why just a bite or two to try the food works well. Then move on. Don't ruin the family meal over a stubborn child. I swear when my kids see 2/3 of the family sitting and enjoying the food they have second thoughts.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score

:thumbsup

Now I never forced my kids to eat stuff they didn't like, but no bellyaching was allowed. And we had a 2 bite rule on new foods. You had to take 2 real sized bites and give all new things an honest try. If you didn't like it, no problem. If you threw a hissy fit, whined, or otherwise complained, you had to eat a whole bowl. Took my oldest a few times to get that through his fat head.
:gig

My sister has an eating disorder, and I'm terrified my kids will end up with something like that. The rule when we were kids was you don't leave the table till your plate is empty, needless to say my sister learned real fast to eat it and go to the bathroom.
I agree forcing kids to eat when they aren't hungry can cause problems, but you are not their personal short order cook. They need to respect that.