What can I make

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My kids periodically don't like what's for dinner -- in fact the 3 year old is going through a phase of announcing that he hates *whatever's* for dinner.

I never even gave serious consideration to the option of cooking them something different. Not even *setting foot* down that road.

What I have learned is to calmly say "okay, well, it's totally up to you whehter to eat it. Just remember, if you aren't hungry enough to eat a reasonable amount of dinner, you aren't getting anything ELSE to eat later on tonight either, and the next meal being served is breakfast tomorrow".

They have pretty much figured out by now that eating little or no dinner makes them VERY unhappy overnight (which makes *us* kind of unhappy too :p but no point in telling the kids that!). I can't remember the last time the 6 yr old didn't eat at least most of his dinner; and the 3 yr old is quickly coming around to that viewpoint too, albeit with more whining during the meal (we just try to ignore it).

I don't really *care* whether they clean their plates, as leftovers just go into soup or out to the chickens, or if its something really yummy I eat it myself for breakfast the next day :p I figure it is up to them to learn to eat whilst eatin' is offered. They do seem to be.

Mind you, I do try to minimize the number of dinners that I *know* they will hate -- when I make curry-spiced type things at all, I make them very mild and child-friendly and expect they may not eat as much. I have finally figured out that I can make as much of "my" food as I want, for JUST ME AND ME ALONE, to eat at lunch. Much happier now <vbg>

Pat

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I pulled out the dependable "pokey pot" aka slow cooker or crock pot and tossed in my skillet browned sirloin steaks. They will be prepared plain, with rice for the kids. The drippings will be made into mushroom gravy for me. And the leftovers are going to become roast beef hash tomorrow. I saw hash on Diners, Drive-Ins, ans Dives and have a craving for it.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky, have you ever seen the "crashed potatoes" recipe from Pioneer Woman? It's the only potato other than fries that all my kids like. And you can season them however you like.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:he No fair that you all have picky eaters and I do not have one in the bunch!! My problem is fixing enough because they want third helpings!! HELLO!! Their FIRST helping was more than a grown man should eat let alone the second helping!! A typical spaghetti dinner around here consists of 3 pounds of pasta and a half gallon of sauce and there is hardly any leftovers! Then I have to tell them if they want more then go open a can of fruit, which they will, and then they eat the whole can!! Then want dessert!!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Now I'm not sure which is worse :lol: Trade ya for couple days?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you tried cutting the chicken into chunks and then rolling them in seasoning and then rolling them in bread crumbs and just baking them like baked chicken nuggets? offering them their choice of dipping sauce. One my kids favorite then make a few veggies that they like and a pasta with sauce.
Or pound those breast super thin and roll bacon and cheese in them and then roll in seasoned bread crumbs and bake--fancy stuffed chicken!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
:he No fair that you all have picky eaters and I do not have one in the bunch!! My problem is fixing enough because they want third helpings!! HELLO!! Their FIRST helping was more than a grown man should eat let alone the second helping!! A typical spaghetti dinner around here consists of 3 pounds of pasta and a half gallon of sauce and there is hardly any leftovers! Then I have to tell them if they want more then go open a can of fruit, which they will, and then they eat the whole can!! Then want dessert!!
:gig I'll trade you one picky eater for one eat everything child. :weee

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Wildsky, have you ever seen the "crashed potatoes" recipe from Pioneer Woman? It's the only potato other than fries that all my kids like. And you can season them however you like.
No I haven't seen that. I can get em to eat potato pretty easily, the little one is only whiny when the potato get to her plate and it still has the skin on! :gig I love them just boiled in their jackets like that. I can generally pop a dab of sour cream on it and she'll eat most of it.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Wildsky, I hear ya! I'm gonna rant here, no advice wanted really.
I've been in this same boat for awhile. I usually make the kids shut up and eat what I fix, but it wears me down just knowing that the complaints are in their heads and on their faces. I don't know how they got so picky! Up until age 4 or 5 they ate anything and everything. Now, hardly anything. They just ruin the joy of cooking for me. :/
My kids don't like sauces, dips, casseroles, soups, stews, wraps, quiche, beans, and basically anything that mixes 2 foods together, except pizza. They will eat plain meat with plain veggies and plain rice. No salad dressing, no toppings. I'm bored outta my mind.
I come from a family of food lovers so it kills me.

I have a sirloin thawing on the counter and no idea what to do with it. *I* would love it smothered in mushroom gravy. Or pepper steak. :drool
That right there is the problem here - I don't even WANT to cook anymore because there is always at least one unhappy customer, its just so depressing, or when plates go back to the kitchen with two bites taken, I just wonder why the heck I bothered in the first place.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I think I decided on Dinner.
I put the chicken breasts in the crockpot with enchilada sauce. I'll let them cook till dinner time, then shred them up and roll them up in tortilla's and bake em for a bit with the sauce and cheese.
I'll make a side of brown rice with veggies chopped up small. With any luck there will be no whining.... I know my hubby will be a very happy man! :weee