What did you cook from scratch today?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last night....we had ham & beans with cornbread.

Today? I haven't got that far yet.

MorelCabin.....those 'pineapple sweet & sour meatballs' sound :drool Would you mind sharing the recipe??????

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was just wondering... does "from scratch" mean, totally made from absolutely basic products, or does for ex. using a spaghetti pre-made tomatoes sauce added to own-seasoned meat, is not cheating? If it ain't cheating, then I am proud to say, I cook from scratch, everyday. Just yesterday I have made "Rosł" which many of you, know as chicken soup, I do add some beef tho. I will make "pierogi" not sure how do you call them in English... with the meat from the stew today.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
The closest to an english translation for pierogie would be dumpling. It is similar to ravioli, a filled pasta style dough cooked either in water, broth, or oil.

I really want to make some blackberry pierogies. My grandmother used to make blueberry pierogies, but I don't have blueberries, so I figure I'll use blackberries.

I have a craving for donuts, so I might have to think of a sweet to make for desert tonight.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
rty007 said:
I was just wondering... does "from scratch" mean, totally made from absolutely basic products, or does for ex. using a spaghetti pre-made tomatoes sauce added to own-seasoned meat, is not cheating? If it ain't cheating, then I am proud to say, I cook from scratch, everyday. Just yesterday I have made "Ros" which many of you, know as chicken soup, I do add some beef tho. I will make "pierogi" not sure how do you call them in English... with the meat from the stew today.
"From scratch" means different things to different people, I've found. Using a jarred/canned sauce is not from scratch, IMO, but starting from plain canned tomatoes works for me! Better is using fresh tomatoes that you grew yourself, but in today's world, that's probably more than most people can do.

I think that is why we tend to describe how from scratch our items are in this thread. I know that I grind my own flour, but this year won't have any homegrown tomato sauce and will buy big cans from Costco. :( Thanks a lot, goaties.

I want to learn to make peirogis! Thanks for the reminder!

FD, I started your plum bread recipe (well, your idea, I'm using Hattie's recipe) and will finish it up tonight after chores. It is in the 4-8 hour rest period, which I call "fermenting!"

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK, so this got me thinking about where the term "from scratch" originated. I had an idea it might refer to raw ingredients (ie: the "scratch" we give chickens is ground up corn). It appears I was wrong.:hu I googled it and found there's not much out there that anyone can agree upon, but the most common answer is that "from scratch" originally came from foot races, where they started from a line scratched in the dirt.

Anyway, enough rambling...

Tonight I made pizza, with crust and sauce from scratch, topped with mushrooms, sausage and green peppers and cheese.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Didn't cook at all today - I went to a meeting where lunch was served, and DH took the opportunity to go to a Chinese buffet place, where he ate enough not to want dinner :lol:. I shall probably have a sandwich with homemade (albeit frozen) bread. But I wanted to toss a quote into the mix about "from scratch". A neighbour once said - though I don't know if it was original to him - that "to make anything truly from scratch, one must first invent the universe".
I was at the supermarket checkout once with 30 pounds of flour in my cart (good sale). The man behind me asked what I needed all that for, and I truthfully said that I like to bake, and don't like to run out of flour partway through. That set him off reminiscing about his mother's from scratch baking, with flour from grain grown on the farm. "From Scratch" means different things to different people. I buy my grain (used to buy the flour) but still think of my baking as "from scratch".