Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I made hot pepper jelly. And I even water bath canned it! So there! :tongue

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Todays dinner was all from the garden...well, all but the meat. :p
We had steaks...corn on the cob, fresh picked this afternoon, cole slaw with carrotts and cabage from the garden this morning, pearl onions from the garden on the steaks., and brussel sprouts, picked this morning. YUM YUM! Now I am off to make a peach cobbler, with some of the peaches I canned last week. :drool

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hope you enjoy your Hot Pepper Jelly, WZ.

Yesterday I made the 40 Minute Hamburger Buns from this BYC post

I shaped some as hamburger buns, some hot dog buns and some slider size buns. (This photo is a bit dark.)
40minrolls.jpg

I didn't get to the Brunswick Stew yesterday. Instead I threw the tomatoes and corn in the freezer. I'll get those back out, plus the meats, in a couple days and do it.

Instead of the Brunswick, I cooked down a bunch of beef soup bones that I wanted out of the freezer - besides, we need more beef stock on the pantry shelves. I refrigerated everything overnight. Today I'm canning most of the stock - about 8 quarts.

I'm making a stew from scratch with some of the meat/stock for supper today. That should leave about 3-4 pints of meat to can today for future use in soups, stews, etc.

edit: typo

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Stew sounds awesome. As soon as our weather cools I need to make a batch.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I juiced a whole watermelon by hand with a potato masher and a stainless steal strainer/steamer. I got a full gallon!! I added 30-35 crushed mint leaves and it tastes devine. :) I pureed the rest of the pulp and made popsicles for the kid.

The rind is peeled and cubed and soaking in a salt water brine so I can make 7 qts of watermelon rind pickles tomorrow am.

I'm beat to the bone b/c I was standing on my feet for 3 hours carving up and mashing that watermelon. However I am making Thai basil chicken from scratch tonight. mmmm!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I made some scones, and topped with strawberry jam and cream.

I had to take them to my hubby's work and a friends work so they wouldn't be sitting here tempting me (I did eat one!) :drool
40304_1466538575764_1002520499_31357227_5280550_n.jpg

I had to use up the cream before it went sour. (note how the cream landed in a heart shape! Cute, then I ate it)

I also had some yogurt to get used up - so I added garlic and lemon and cooked some chicken in it for dinner. :drool

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Banana oat pancakes and scrambled eggs.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Chicken and dumplings! The latest "dumpling" (actually I usually call them "Stewie" now, since my favorite rooster Dumpling disappeared a couple weeks ago) ... Anyway the latest Dumpling/Stewie went into the pot today, and now I only have about 5 extra roosters. I got a smaller batch than I wanted cuz I really wanted it thick. I got an extra jar of broth though.

And for desert, an old-fashioned style blackberry cobbler from fresh berries. Unfortunately I didn't grow them. That is the first time in my life I've ever PAID for blackberries, but the goats got to mine this year.

I'm loving the sound of juiced watermelon. I will have to try that. :)

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL I meant to say that the blackberry cobbler was a compromise. I have the MOST AWESOME sweet cherries right now, and some cream cheese I need to use up. I toyed with the idea of cheesecake with fresh cherry topping, but I think that would be a BAD idea, since I'd probably end up eating most of it!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Those look yummy wildsky :D

I made some more pepper jelly. Someone gave me a garbage bag full of little apricots and I had to do something with them ASAP. One of the recipes I stumbled on used apricots as a base so I tried that. Tastes pretty good considering the apricots were a bit bland. They tasted way better after they were cooked.

I had more stewed apricots than I needed so I took that extra stuff, added some more honey, some dried smoked red pepper, a chopped red onion, and some chipoltle tabasco and VOILA! Apricot hot pepper bbq sauce :D