What did you cook from scratch today?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Dace said:
Hey free...that tom/basil pie sounds delish!

Yesterday for lunch I made: grilled open face sourdough tomato basil sammys.

Slather one side of the SD in either bacon fat or butter, lay down mozzarella, sliced maters, fresh basil, EVOO, sea salt and a grating of parm.....cover with a large lid to help the cheese melt.

Super yummy and easy!
Oooo, pizza sandwich! Yum!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Pulled up an old recipe for pie crust...lard, salt, water, flour. Testing it out on a homemade pecan pie. In the oven as we speak!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Whoa, pioneergirl--that sounds awesome! Just made the usual food from scratch. Today it was a tuna-noodle salad for a picnic lunch at the lake with the kids. Nothing exciting or exotic :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:pop Sooooo.....how was the pie crust??

I made bread today using a different recipe and it looks great so far! Just did one loaf, and I actually did not have time to try it, if that can be imagined! Then we went to my folks for dinner and I forgot to bring it. So it sits, uncut, on my counter. If it is good, I will post the recipe on my journal. I am looking for a good recipe using 100% freshly ground wheat flour. In this one I used flour, sea salt, lard, yeast, wildflower honey, and water.

I made cheddar cheese and tried the fresh curds, and they were quite good!

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I gotta brag up my bride a little. She made a Strawberry Shortcake birthday cake for our baby who turned 3 today. It is a made from scratch 3 layer chocolate pound cake with chocolate icing and fresh strawberries between each layer then covered with homemade butter cream icing then wrapped with a blend of homemade white modeling chocolate and fondant then decorated with more modeling chocolate and buttercream. Very yummy!!

1803_dscn0934.jpg

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wow--that is incredible!! And completely out of my realm of skills :)

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WOW!!! that is amazing woodwzrd! she did a great job!

I made chili verde with some roasted anaheims and jalepenos I had in the freezer, beans, tortillas, tomatoes and fermented peppers on the side!