What did you cook from scratch today?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Oh mercy me that pie crust was deeeelish!!! So good, in fact, I'll be making more today. This morning was peach jam (still cooling, how long before it 'sets'?) and this afternoon will be peach pie and hopefully time for an apple pie.....with that awesome crust of course!! :D

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
How long before jam sets? anyone know? Its been about 24 hours and its still soft.......

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made Cabbage roll casserole. Or Lazy cabbage rolls. Whatever you want to call them. To be eaten with garlic mashed potatoes. Yum.

Basic recipe:
Ingredients

* 1 pound lean ground beef
* 1 1/2 pounds chopped cabbage
* 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
* 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
* 3/4 cup chopped onion
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth
* salt to taste

This recipe can be changed up so many ways.
I sub out the tomato sauce for my own canned chili sauce, because I love the flavor of it.

Brown ground beef in a large pot, the throw in the onions, cabbage and let soften. Add rest of ingredients, mix well and transfer to a baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 for about an hour, or until the rice is cooked.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We normally eat from scratch, but I gotta brag on this one.
Homemade chicken soup from "First" :D

It was fabulous and almost everything in it came from our plot or the (real) farmer's markets. We have a "farmer's market" that sells broccoli and asparagus from Cali. Yeah...

1 skinny, tasty chicken, parted up & simmered all day
Zuchinni, Yellow squash, carrots (grocery), onions, dried tomatoes, dried mushrooms (grocery), dried corn, okra.

Free, let us know how the bread turns out. I need to practice more at the bread thing. I know that's all it is, inexperience.

PG, mine took a few days to set up to the point I thought it should be.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I made Cabbage roll casserole. Or Lazy cabbage rolls. Whatever you want to call them. To be eaten with garlic mashed potatoes. Yum.

Basic recipe:
Ingredients

* 1 pound lean ground beef
* 1 1/2 pounds chopped cabbage
* 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
* 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
* 3/4 cup chopped onion
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth
* salt to taste

This recipe can be changed up so many ways.
I sub out the tomato sauce for my own canned chili sauce, because I love the flavor of it.

Brown ground beef in a large pot, the throw in the onions, cabbage and let soften. Add rest of ingredients, mix well and transfer to a baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 for about an hour, or until the rice is cooked.
Oh, thank you!! I love the taste of cabbage rolls but not all the fussy prep. This reminds me of another lazy recipe I have for stuffed pepper soup and lazy lasagna :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
We normally eat from scratch, but I gotta brag on this one.
Homemade chicken soup from "First" :D

It was fabulous and almost everything in it came from our plot or the (real) farmer's markets. We have a "farmer's market" that sells broccoli and asparagus from Cali. Yeah...

1 skinny, tasty chicken, parted up & simmered all day
Zuchinni, Yellow squash, carrots (grocery), onions, dried tomatoes, dried mushrooms (grocery), dried corn, okra.

Free, let us know how the bread turns out. I need to practice more at the bread thing. I know that's all it is, inexperience.

PG, mine took a few days to set up to the point I thought it should be.
I need to try another recipe. It was wonderful and light and fluffy, and made a delicious grilled cheese sandwich. Then it fell apart. I will try a recipe with egg in it next, and a touch of oat flour. I also tried a one-rising method, this may be the reason it fell apart so quickly.

Shoot, that reminds me, I need to go out and put those three roosters in the dog cage so dad can butcher them tomorrow!