What Did You Dehydrate Today?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Or that much squash? Or green beans? You KNOW we plant to cover poor production! :lol:

How are your tomatoes doing? If these plum ones ripen when the green beans are ready, I'll be in big trouble...canning beans and make sauce is a lot. I planted to fulfill my dreams I guess. 🤷🤔 Big dreams! Then there's the slicers....yep, 15 of each type, that oughta do it. :hu:th:old. The eggplants are coming on...got to have eggplant Parm! And I've been making ricotta for the pans of lasagna that I surely need.

I'll remind you about the okra but, not the best for a downsizing guide. 🤣🤣😔

Just think of the $$$ we save growing and making it...plus healthier!! :drool :thumbsup

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lemme tell you the back story of why I have so much okra. Sigh...

I wanted to compare two types of okra. So - in the south garden I planted two rows of Clemson Spineless. In the north garden I planted two rows of Cowhorn Okra. And I waited...and waited...and waited and nothing happened. Replanted both areas. And waited, and waited and waited. We were still having coolish nights and okra doesn't like cool so I guess that was delay. Finally the Clemson spineless started germinating but the Cowhorn didn't. I got annoyed and went and replanted that area with Clemson spineless seeds - to heck with the Cowhorn.

Well - guess what? It finally ALL germinated. I thought (hoped) it might be planted too close to produce well. I was wrong.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score

I wanted to compare two types of okra. So - in the south garden I planted two rows of Clemson Spineless. In the north garden I planted two rows of Cowhorn Okra. And I waited...and waited...and waited and nothing happened. Replanted both areas. And waited, and waited and waited. We were still having coolish nights and okra doesn't like cool so I guess that was delay. Finally the Clemson spineless started germinating but the Cowhorn didn't. I got annoyed and went and replanted that area with Clemson spineless seeds - to heck with the Cowhorn.

Well - guess what? It finally ALL germinated. I thought (hoped) it might be planted too close to produce well. I was wrong.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol!
I wish we could take a bushel off of your hands!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish we could take a bushel off of your hands!
I'd trade for tomatoes, lol! I can't keep the bugs offa the tomatoes to save my life....sigh. I'm hoping maybe I can get some fall 'maters. Maybe the bugs will be gone by then.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :ep:duc:lol::lol:

THAT is totally a different overplanting issue. Patience is what you need. Until then. Enjoy that okra!! Wow....you used to send it to work with DH...:lol:

Here piggie, piggie.....uh, will the goats eat it??

Did you see a difference in the two types? I don't eat it but grew some for a friend one yr. Green and some burgundy that was pretty. He said same taste.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I noticed that it takes the Cowhorn longer to germinate, lol. It's also got more spines making it a PIA to pick and process. Taste wise - okra is okra I guess. I've tried a burgundy type some years back, but it seemed to get too hard too quickly even though the burgundy color made it easier to find and harvest. I'll stick with Clemson Spineless from now on.