Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Picked and ate some juicy rhubarb, scuffed up some weed seedlings out of the wood chips, fashioned a new garden gate out of an old section of picket fence.

It frosted heavy here last night and supposed to do it all again tonight, but nothing looks the worse for wear out there. The lettuce and other greens seem to love this cold weather, of course.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I love this question!

DS10 and I dug many many baby thistles out of a small, bare spot of pasture. I seeded birdseed (mostly millet) and oats there - the only somewhat appropriate things I had on hand.

I planted 5# of poppy seed that had been in my freezer for several years. Had overwhelming germination last year, but the chickens ate the sprouts. Dang chickens! I can't get anything started in one of my gardens because of them! This time I scraped back grass and threw handfuls on patches of bare soil, raked the gras back over. I don't have high hopes, but I'm glad it's not in my freezer anymore.

I decided to start perennials that would be appropriate for cut flowers. I picked my location, decided what to plant - and how - and ordered seed. I'm way to excited about this! Not telling DH about my plan!

I transplanted some irises that I found barely growing in well-drained sandy soil. Nope! They prefer moist, even slightly clay-ish. I moved them to better soil. I found some other lilies, irises, and hostas to save from that location. Previous owner must have tried to grow a garden - there's landscape cloth down. I have quite a lot left to move!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use a lot of very large pots around here. Soil tends to be to wet for many plants.

I repotted my lilacs. All three are blooming this year and there are some promising shoots I can divide off and try in our actual soil next year. I got the starts from my great aunt 3 years ago. She lives on the hot, dry, sandy side of the Cascades so we didn't know if they would take the transplanting. Now they are acclimatized to the cool and rain at least.

Filled a bunch of pots and put it some more herbs.

Planted peas in the big raised planter against the back of the house so maybe we'll get then instead of the deer. I'll do the other planter in two weeks. Peas usually grow all summer here fine.

Filled the 2.5' x 5' x 7" planter on the back of my broody coop with chicken litter and planting mix. Trying to decide what to put there.

Butternut squash is going in at least one huge pot i got filled.

The raised beds are finally dry enough for me to work with.

Took some small wire squares mom gave me from an old modular shelf and ziptied them in sets to make chicken barriers for some of the planters.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I checked on all my seedlings in the greenhouse. This is the first year I will not buy any veggie or flower sets. Over 500 seeds started.

I also got the arbor anchored and began laying slates in the "Garden Room".

016-May_8.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The chickens destroyed a part of the lawn and I am trying to encourage it to regrow before we move, so I've been watering. We had a lovely long dry spell here, followed by a good rain shower and then more "drought", so the extra water is needed for this project.

I've transplanted the surviving strawberries from the tubs into the single garden bed and if the chickens would stop trying to dig them up, they should do fine. No other garden projects planned until I move now.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm posting pre-emptively in hopes of motivating myself into actually doing it. :gig

• Plant 10# of black oil sunflower seed along an unused fence line. Maybe if I plant enough the wildlife will be overwhelmed and leave a few to grow? (Hah!)
  • Prep 32 holes for planting perennial carnations that will arrive next week.
  • Prep "umteen million" spots for planting perennial flower seeds. I have 15,000 yarrow seeds, 5,000 hollyhock seeds, and 5,000 amaranth seeds on the way. Overwhelming!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Have you found the "perfect" place yet, @sumi?
I actually did, but after being told 2 weeks ago they'll rent it to me, I got told today they put it on the market to sell and was advised not to try and sell it with a tenant in it. They actually took it off the market some time ago, because it wasn't selling. So.. I have to wait and if it doesn't sell, I can rent it. But I don't have time. It's a jammy one. And very disappointing!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm posting pre-emptively in hopes of motivating myself into actually doing it. :gig

• Plant 10# of black oil sunflower seed along an unused fence line. Maybe if I plant enough the wildlife will be overwhelmed and leave a few to grow? (Hah!)
  • Prep 32 holes for planting perennial carnations that will arrive next week.
  • Prep "umteen million" spots for planting perennial flower seeds. I have 15,000 yarrow seeds, 5,000 hollyhock seeds, and 5,000 amaranth seeds on the way. Overwhelming!
You starting a garden centre?

;)

Latest posts