1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by Beekissed, May 9, 2017.

1. Jun 23, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Weaving maters in the fencing, suckering mater and peppers, spraying for squash, cuke and Jap beetle bugs, picking snap peas, green onions and pak choi for salad, picking raspberries to throw into my fruit salad. Not enough yet for a pie or jam but we'll get there.

Need to spread some more hay on thin and mushy spots.

Mini Horses likes this.
  2. Jun 23, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

I've been… weeding! :rolleyes: To save myself an awful lot of work (and a few grass seedlings) I'm going to dig over the remainder of the lawn area, water it well and let the weeds come up, so I can take care of them easily, before I sow the grass seeds. The garden is looking good, cucumbers are coming up :) Along with something else, could be more tomatoes or peppers. I tucked a mix of the two's seeds into one bed. Second planting of sunflowers are coming up now as well. I put more peas out and they all came up as well.

3. Jun 25, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Inbeween thunderstorms both yesterday and today. I planted indian corn 9 - 50' rows 3 foot apart. Sad day for my sweet corn though, I thinned it out to one plant per every 8 inches. I also weeded the sweet corn, tomatoes and peppers. i also eat several small green peppers and tomatoes (the early ones) as I was weeding.

4. Jun 25, 2018
    BarredBuff

BarredBuff El Presidente de Pollo

Thinned my winter squashes out today to three per hill. My upper hills didn't come up that well, but my bottom hills are growing like crazy!

My garden is so wet right now, and it is so hot. The weeds are sprouting EVERYWHERE.

5. Jun 25, 2018
    CrealCritter

Same here in southern IL. Lots of rain this year. Lots of rain = stunted plant growth but weeds love the rain :(

BarredBuff likes this.
  6. Jun 25, 2018
    sumi

Never thought I'd say this, but I wish we could get some rain.

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 15.08.18.png

7. Jun 25, 2018
    CrealCritter

My garden is a freaking swamp... and more rain on the way. I am totally glad I decided not to mulch my tomatoes and peppers yet or I may have killed them with root rot from being way to wet. You can see the head (right) of the garden which is the highest peppers and tomatoes are doing better than the rest. Eventually it will dry out enough where I can get my tiller in there and cultivate to kill off weeds. But for now the weeds are in competition bigtime with my veggies :(
    IMG_20180625_105840940.jpg

Rained on and off this weekend, went to bed last night it was raining. Woke this morning it was raining. More rain forcast tomorrow and Wednesday also. Then hot, its a horrible garden year so far... 1 week of spring to till & plant, constant battle with heat, weeds and mud. I seen a lot of gardeners in my area have already thrown in the towel and abandoned their gardens. But I'm stubborn... I refuse to call it quits.
    Screenshot_2018-06-25-11-37-00.png

Maybe I should have planted rice instead -:lol

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    BarredBuff and sumi like this.
  8. Jun 25, 2018
    sumi

If you plant rice it will be a bone dry year! lol

I've had some trouble with the weather too. Cold, cold, cold, spring for a day, then summer and no rain to speak off for weeks after months of being wet. The weeds went completely crazy after the good rain shower we had, followed by the heat, so I'm battling with it myself. I honestly won't mind the mud right now though. I have to carry water from the kitchen all the way out to the back to water things.

CrealCritter likes this.
  9. Jun 26, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

We've had plenty of rain!! 6 days, then one off and another 2.5-3". We are about 8" over aver for the year and 10" for the month. Fortunately my farm has good dirt and drains but, still more than I'd like. Weeds? Heck yeah!!

Blooms & little fruits on tomato & pepper plants. Beans & corn still growing, eggplant struggling, cukes are good but young plants. :idunno You just keep on hoping.

CrealCritter likes this.
  10. Jun 26, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

It's sooo dry here. Rained this past weekend finally, but headed for 96 degree weather this coming weekend. That is super hot for us! Supposed to be 41 tonight though, weird weather.

CrealCritter likes this.