BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
This is the second strong thunder storm with horizontal rain and strong winds to roll through today. Looks like a third less strong storm is right behind #2. I may just have to go out and staple my plants roots into the ground so the don't float away.

73 degrees hey atleast it's cool :)

View attachment 7773

All of my plants got blown down by the first thunder storm :hit

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All of my plants got blown down by the first thunder storm :hit

I've got several down also, my corn is a mess most all plants in the rows are laying down and some is actually completely out of the ground. In a few days after it gets dry enough to wade out there, I'll go and stand it all back up. Like I said... It's a horrible garden year. I hope the remainder will be better though. Gotta keep a positive attitude :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That really stinks ya'll. So sorry you're dealing with that. Hope you can stand that corn right back up, CC.

I picked a bunch more figs and have 4 more trays in the dehydrator. Also picked another mess of Red Rippers. I have about half of 'em shelled, but I'll have to finish 'em tomorrow. Saw a couple eggplants have set fruit. Be a couple weeks before they're ready and the okra is looking awesome. About 18 inches tall with leaves as big(ger) than a dinner plate. Can't wait!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That really stinks ya'll. So sorry you're dealing with that. Hope you can stand that corn right back up, CC.

I picked a bunch more figs and have 4 more trays in the dehydrator. Also picked another mess of Red Rippers. I have about half of 'em shelled, but I'll have to finish 'em tomorrow. Saw a couple eggplants have set fruit. Be a couple weeks before they're ready and the okra is looking awesome. About 18 inches tall with leaves as big(ger) than a dinner plate. Can't wait!

Very happy someone is having a good garden year.

3rd thunderstorm of the day moved out a little while ago. I put on my mud boots and took a flash light with me to the garden. It's bad... Lots of plants blown over or laying down with roots exposed. I also have what could be considered a small steam flowing down the trench I dug to she'd excess water from the graden. I already know I'm going to have to spray the peppers and tomatoes with copper sulfate or else I'll probably loose them due to leaf mold / rust. It's way to wet and humid for peppers and tomatoes right now.

I should have have just damned up my trench, created a 50 x 100 swamp and planted rice this year. I'm quite certain I would have had a bumper rice crop if I would have.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles in the gardens with the rain and storms @BarredBuff and @CrealCritter :hugs Maybe if you replant all the uprooted things some of them will recover :fl It's disheartening when the weather or something messes up your hard work like that.

We're still unusually hot and bone dry. It's been about a month now since our last good rain fall with one so-so shower since, about 2 weeks ago? I'm watering the small things and seeds in the mornings (@Beekissed I have a pumpkin up!!! :) ) and everything in the evenings when it's cool enough for me to be comfortable outside. My low blood pressure and the sun… The careful watering and heat is making things grow like blazes out there. Including weeds, but I'm onto them.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think my squashes, cucumbers, beans, and corn will make it. Luckily, the corn was so far behind it wasn't big enough to blow over. The tomatoes are a disaster. I hadn't got them staked yet. Thats when my ear infection hit last week. I may be able to save them. But if it doesn't try out they will die from some disease.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Insult to injury... Storm #1 for today - I hope it's the only one today.

Screenshot_2018-06-27-08-24-43.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles in the gardens with the rain and storms @BarredBuff and @CrealCritter :hugs Maybe if you replant all the uprooted things some of them will recover :fl It's disheartening when the weather or something messes up your hard work like that.

We're still unusually hot and bone dry. It's been about a month now since our last good rain fall with one so-so shower since, about 2 weeks ago? I'm watering the small things and seeds in the mornings (@Beekissed I have a pumpkin up!!! :) ) and everything in the evenings when it's cool enough for me to be comfortable outside. My low blood pressure and the sun… The careful watering and heat is making things grow like blazes out there. Including weeds, but I'm onto them.

I maintaining a positive mental attitude about my gardens this year. They are so far behind because of the weather it's ridiculous but it happens some years. It's the end of June so I still have a little time left to get everything sowed but not much time is left.

Latest posts