frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Very happy someone is having a good garden year.
Thanks - but it's mostly kind of so-so. Good luck with the tomatoes early in the season. Nothing now...burned up and attacked by stink bugs. I need to prune them and see if they'll come back for fall. Nothing from my summer squash - mosaic virus. Fair on green beans. Great red rippers and the okra should start producing soon. Noticed a couple of small eggplants - hope they get bigger. Most of the peppers are doing well and continuing to produce. Nothing from the lima beans - yet. Nothing from winter squash or melons - yet. Still have my fingers crossed - but they may succumb to the mosaic virus also. :( Gardens - it is what it is, lol!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks - but it's mostly kind of so-so. Good luck with the tomatoes early in the season. Nothing now...burned up and attacked by stink bugs. I need to prune them and see if they'll come back for fall. Nothing from my summer squash - mosaic virus. Fair on green beans. Great red rippers and the okra should start producing soon. Noticed a couple of small eggplants - hope they get bigger. Most of the peppers are doing well and continuing to produce. Nothing from the lima beans - yet. Nothing from winter squash or melons - yet. Still have my fingers crossed - but they may succumb to the mosaic virus also. :( Gardens - it is what it is, lol!

Stink bugs are the worst... A lot of people confuse squash bugs & stink bugs but squash bugs don't fly :) I have yet to find an effective means to control stink bugs - even Palmolive orginal mixed with water doesn't work. About the only thing I've found that kind of works is neem oil / Palmolive & water. But it doesn't kill the stink bugs, it only drives them away for a while.

I absolutely refuse to use Seven - it's like exploding a nuclear bomb in the garden. Seven kills almost every insect including the good ones which is very bad!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I maintaining a positive mental attitude about my gardens this year. They are so far behind because of the weather it's ridiculous but it happens some years. It's the end of June so I still have a little time left to get everything sowed but not much time is left.

Same. It looks like you get what we get first. I live along that same path just east. I'm just crossing my fingers for a better shot this fall at a few crops.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Same. It looks like you get what we get first. I live along that same path just east. I'm just crossing my fingers for a better shot this fall at a few crops.

Yes indeed fingers crossed for sure! Where are you located?

I hate to have to say it but thunder storm line #2 is starting to roll through now and it looks like we "might" get 3 and maybe 4 later today :( the stream flowing through my garden has turned into a full fledged creek now.

Screenshot_2018-06-27-10-10-29.png

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I maintaining a positive mental attitude about my gardens this year. They are so far behind because of the weather it's ridiculous but it happens some years. It's the end of June so I still have a little time left to get everything sowed but not much time is left.
That is the best you can do, stay positive, keep at it :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score

I hate to have to say it but thunder storm line #2 is starting to roll through now and it looks like we "might" get 3 and maybe 4 later today :( the stream flowing through my garden has turned into a full fledged creek now.

View attachment 7776
Wish you could send some of that our way! I just went out to water some of the plants. It's so hot out there, I took 2 watering cans out and decided that's enough for now.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score

View attachment 7776
Eastern Kentucky.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I think I would be hooking up a hose from the kitchen sink :)
I would, if I could. I really wish I could! My taps are not the right shape and size for it, neither are the bathroom taps, which are also in the right place (back of the house). I'm so tempted to check the empty house next door to see if there is a suitable tap outside, run a sneaky hose that way one evening. We don't get billed for water, so they won't know.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would, if I could. I really wish I could! My taps are not the right shape and size for it, neither are the bathroom taps, which are also in the right place (back of the house). I'm so tempted to check the empty house next door to see if there is a suitable tap outside, run a sneaky hose that way one evening. We don't get billed for water, so they won't know.

Maybe...A couple of hose clamps and a length of intertube to connect the two should work... Your not after high pressure, just enough pressure so you don't have to shelp water in buckets from here to there.