CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! :) That is a great space and your garden looks amazing. You have the space and the water to do it, so I'd x2 the go for it!

My property is pretty hilly, I'm trying to take advantage of it. Low spots are the last to dry out and seem to be a good spot for a summer garden. The only flat spot is where the house and shop sits. I can tell it's been leveled out by a bull dozer long ago.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Roses are blooming and the hens finally stopped eating them

IMG_20180731_150607.jpg

I am crawling around the lawn digging up dock today. Those things roots' are longer than a Monday. But I'm winning. My landlord said to me the other day you can't get them out. I do "can'ts" ;)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since I have volunteer squash and something else coming up in the former pig pen - I decided to toss out a few butternut squash seeds and a few of the corn seeds CC sent me. Just thought I'd give it a try - with our crazy weather we could stay hot until late October-ish...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
In-between trying to get the weeds under control, I've been clearing and digging over more ground to expand the lawn further to the back. I'm a bit pushed for time, so I'm doing it in sections of about 15 foot x the width of the current lawn. I lightly dug over the patch this afternoon, sowed the grass seeds and covered it with the rake. Not 10 minutes later it started raining. If that is not perfect timing? :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Awesome - it's really cool when things actually work!!
Compared to last time, yes! I waited before I sowed the seeds and then it stopped raining. For WEEKS. So unusual for us. I think the weather apologised today lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We had a few spots of rain over the last few days and a steady rain fall this morning when I got up and going. I went outside just now to look at the new lawn and the seeds are up! :) I stood there for a minute remembering what that patch looked like before I got busy clearing it, there used to be a pile of branches, rubbish and some building rubble in-between, followed by vicious (thorny) weeds and horrible top soil, thanks to the rubbish etc. Now there's a lawn happening… It's a good feeling, seeing that. :)

I don't know if you all remember that freak accident I had last year with the car, when I injured my wrist? It's still bothering me and unfortunately it does NOT enjoy me digging over soil with a pitch fork, which is 90% of what I'm having to do at the moment :( The going is painfully slow as a result.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the rain! For the last week to 10 days we've had rain every day in the forecast, but with just a couple of exceptions the rain has missed falling at home. It poured rain at work several times and I'd be amazed that just a few miles down the road - nothing! It rained yesterday when I was bringing the grandkiddos home - but no rain at the house. It's one of the few times in the last couple of years that they came and didn't have to wear mud boots to go outside!

I know you get a good feeling seeing the progress that you've made.

So sorry that your wrist is still being ouchy... :(

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm delighted with this rain and the timing! The first section of lawn struggled as I managed to time it to perfection, to get seeded and growing just before the longest dry spell in Irish history lol

It's awful when you need rain and gets to watch the showers fall so close you can smell it, but it's not at home, where you need it. I'm sure the grands are not complaining though! Mud is only fun for so long.

I honestly wish I knew what's wrong with my wrist, but the doctor at the hospital was as baffled as I am. No obvious fracture on the X-ray, but it got damaged pretty good clearly? :idunno I can't and won't blame the driver though. I did the same once, panicking when I met an oncoming car on a tight section. Thankfully I hit the pavement instead of a person though! lol