Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whats up guys and gals? Who's planting for fall?

Our black eyed peas are doing so well i planted carrots and then ripped out the bluelake pole beans that never made anything and planted cucumbers on that trellis. Ran out of light but i pln on planting beets and turnips and maybe some collards tomorrow.

I got a feeling we are gonna get slammed with an early, hard winter this year so i figure early is better than late.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The weather has changed here in the last week. You can feel it in the mornings and evenings. We only have 2 more weeks of what is our normal summer length.

I'm going to be setting up the big coop planter for peas this week. They do very well in the autumn here.

Other than that, I've been drying my tea herbs this past week. Quart of peppermint and a pint of spearmint. About a quarter pint of lemon verbena, but the plants are very young and this was the first real cutting off them. I'll put up more peppermint in a week or two since I prefer it.

The blackberries have some young leaves to pick still since I keep cutting the invasive things back. The wild strawberry is plenty bushy for me to collect enough for tea. Actually it is on the "divide and repot" list for this winter.

I dried some comfrey earlier this month along with plantain. Mom's promised me some dried calendula flowers since she always grows them. I have some salve recipes to play with for my niece.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've got tons of blackberries taking over the back yard - maybe I should collect some of the leaves. Thanks for the idea!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picked and dried wild strawberry leaf for tea. NEVER doing that again. I may not be able to get that smell out of my nose. This may be like my not being able to stand cilantro (I love the smell of coriander ironically).

I've started my list of herbs to add to the garden next spring. I'm going to try lemon balm again. Maybe it won't get eaten by chickens this time since I have cages for the pots. That's an herb I just can't use for tea as it smells like lemon Pledge to me.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Picked a peck of half runners this morning. Some hot banana peppers, bell peppers and a few maters. The garden is cycling down and fall bugs are singing at night. Time to plant a few things in the trays for winter harvest and plant some things in the garden to see if they will give a fall crop...with the heat coming up, not sure if sugar snap peas will germinate, but I could try it.

Corn is canned up for the season, so that leaves beans and peppers to go for the garden. Garden looked lovely this year due to all the rains but it sure didn't produce like all the growth and foliage promised. So be it...I tried hard and failed again, no shame in any of that.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried hard and failed again, no shame in any of that.

Failure is a subjective term, I wouldn't be so hard on myself. It sounds like your garden produced, so that's not a failure in my book. Some garden years are better than others... Even a bad year for tomatoes will most likely be a good year for potatoes. The key for me is to plant a large variety and in large quantity. That way I'm sure to get something out of it anyways. That's why I have large gardens :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whats up guys and gals? Who's planting for fall?

Our black eyed peas are doing so well i planted carrots and then ripped out the bluelake pole beans that never made anything and planted cucumbers on that trellis. Ran out of light but i pln on planting beets and turnips and maybe some collards tomorrow.

I got a feeling we are gonna get slammed with an early, hard winter this year so i figure early is better than late.

I've got 2 50' rows of fall cabbages sowed and that's all I'm gonna do this fall. Freezers are plenty full and we're working on canning so we should be good for the zombie apocalypse that the oboma administration / cdc predicted would happen in 2011 --->https://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

Between you and me I'm really glad the oboma administration was wrong about so many thing including the zombie apocalypse :)

GettysburgGarden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Failure is a subjective term, I wouldn't be so hard on myself. It sounds like your garden produced, so that's not a failure in my book. Some garden years are better than others... Even a bad year for tomatoes will most likely be a good year for potatoes. The key for me is to plant a large variety and in large quantity. That way I'm sure to get something out of it anyways. That's why I have large gardens :)
Here is hoping on the Kale and Turnips.. It's fried green tomato weekend :) I'm looking at the pictures here at this place and time for my spouse and me to consider a move. We are both in information technology, both done very well, but simply now that the kids have moved on should have a larger lot and garden. I looked down in WV near http://www.peacemakernational.com/ And really didn't find anything suitable. We need to move and anchor to healthcare in a rural community, but so many of those hospitals are closing. Worst case telecommute and do helpdesk, which if I had a real garden I think I could handle.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's been raining.a lot over the past week and the garden done went wild. Daughter and sil came over and picked a little. Still have green and red peppers to pick these one are from branches that broke off. Still 2 more rows of jalapenos & green beans left to pick.

IMG_20180826_193056677.jpg

About 15 gallons of jalapenos, 5 gallons of tomatoes and a few green peppers.
IMG_20180826_193542007.jpg

Latest posts