frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My goodness - what a haul!!

My okra has been going a little crazy since I've been letting the goats in to eat the leaves! It took it a while to get started but it's going like gangbusters now. Still picking peppers a couple times a week too....but that's about it.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I missed a few days and spent a long time searching and picking these off of my tomato plants tonight. It was quite satisfying watching the chickens fight over them when I dumped them on the lawn.
IMG954785.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I missed a few days and spent a long time searching and picking these off of my tomato plants tonight. It was quite satisfying watching the chickens fight over them when I dumped them on the lawn. View attachment 8278

Horn worms, fisty little boogers to and will do some damage to tomatoe and pepper plants pretty quick. BT will take care of them but if you see one that has little white balls hanging off of it, leave it - that's parastic wasp eggs. The horn worm as good as dead and the eggs will hatch into tiny wasps that lay more eggs to kill more horn worms.

072845931900.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks, @CrealCritter! They can sure eat their way through a garden quickly!
YW - be sure and read the directions it doesn't take much mixed with water. I also add some Palmolive orginal (green) to the mix just in case there are aphids. And your right they can do some pretty serious damage. I think I recall reading somewhere that those hatch into gypsy moths but i think I recalled reading it on the internet, so it could or could not be correct - who knows.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My garden has done went wild... Lots of stuff has grown to tall to remain standing. Wife said it looks like a herd of deer ran through the garden but no... it's just growth and wind.

Anyone have experience griding corn that they can share?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Anyone have experience griding corn that they can share?
I used to grind corn for my chickens (had debeaked ex-battery hens - ground corn was easier for them to eat). I used a meat grinder for it, one of those old-fashioned manual ones that screws onto a counter top. The Indian corn we grew in S.A. ground up easier than the regular yellow corn, I found. It was softer. Small handfuls at a time and it went through quick enough. Very time consuming though!