Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Its excellent fertilizer. My chickens ignored it at first, then ate & dug roots looking for more. My goats will eat it but I've not planted it where they were allowed, just a few leaves tossed to them. Starting a new patch over again! First group were not well established, or wouldn't have happened. :( My bad.

Hintori, do you use yours for anything? I've made some salve...just one little jar, then plants were gone!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You will have more this Spring!

TODAY -- wow, woke to 32, sunshine and almost NO breeze. Decided it was "my day" to stay home and do what I wanted. So, with no winds, took my Dragon propane torch and set fire to some old dead grass, etc. in a little 1/2 ac pasture. It went so well that I then torched the round pen garden. Wanted to till but, haven't replaced my mower to pull the tiller!

It was 71 out there at 1 o'clock! Sooooooooooo, on a roll, I then burned about another acre in a pasture. I had left that before cold to give some tall grass to graze. Some eaten, some grew, it was in need of a burn. Done.

This will also add some potash to the soil. We are to get some night rains either wed/thur and I plan to toss some seed in the area I can close off from grazers and "maybe" it will be sprouting in March.

Went thru seeds for the umpteenth time and will start some seedlings this weekend! :celebrate May go get DDs mower & run a quick initial till in the round pen. Will see how much cardboard I have....to cover it. What a beautiful day for weather -- Spring will come. :old

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I poked around in the greenhouse. Soil is thawed to about 1.5" deep now. Hope to drag the hose out and water the 2 beds so they will be ready to plant.

Took the drill to some saved yogurt cups. Plan to start some seedlings in the cups, then move them to 6 packs.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
thai basil

How different is it than Italian? I believe I read it is spicier :idunno

Took the drill to some saved yogurt cups. Plan to start some seedlings in the cups, then move them to 6 packs.

I have some of the heavy paper coffee cups from demos that I use. Like you, love "free". I just cut the side and take plant out to plant it. Write what it is on side. :rolleyes: Saved the big containers my apple trees came in this past summer so I can fill with planting soils and put some of my herbs in them. Some of the mints can be aggressive :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've grown "regular" basil for years and love it - but the thai basil has a really unique taste - it's kinda spicy and is really really tasty in Pho. I've just recently discovered Vietnamese Pho... and I'll never be without it for very long.. It's sooo good!