Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I find that one of the most useful seedling containers is the cheap styrofoam cups. The seedlings seem to grow very well in the cups, perhaps b/c the roots are "insulated" and the cups hold a good amount of soil? I use quite a few of the seedling flats every season: the 6 packs. I find that Marigolds are so resilient that I just broadcast them into a styrofoam meat tray, then pull them apart to plant out into the garden. No individual pots for Marigolds!!! My favorite potting mix is Pro-Mix. A bale will last me 1 - 2 years.

08fb75b7-fcb2-471e-9572-8c2bc005e7d9_1.21b63ef8dd7bfe2e5faba7b55e8bf450.jpeg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I ordered a double head UV plant light for my lemon verbena and lemongrass since they had to come inside. It stopped the leaf drop on the verbena. I'll order another one soon. It only uses around 12 watts so cheap to run.

I gathered more plantain for lotion. That is usually growing year round. Mom has been reminding me to collect cottonwood buds come February. Dried ones are $100 a pound on Amazon marketplace. Mom wants to surprise her friend who's been looking for some. No trees where she is.
How do you make lotion from plantain and what do you use it for? What do you use the cottonwood buds for?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How do you make lotion from plantain and what do you use it for? What do you use the cottonwood buds for?

I kept a jar of almond oil warm and steeped dried comfrey and calendula in it for about 12 hours. I then made a very strong infusion of the same herbs for the water portion of the lotion. Both promote healing.

I use it on dry and injured spots. It's helped my eczema. Mom has had good luck with it as well. Her elbows aren't dry and scaly for the first time in decades.

Mom just doesn't like the rosemary oil scent. Rosemary oil is part of the preservative. I'll add a little eucalyptus oil to cover the scent next time. Spare jars are kept in the freezer as it does have a shelf life of a few months on the counter.

Cottonwood buds are used to make Balm of Gilead. Another healing ointment. I prefer lotions, so I'll just use it in the oil portion of that recipe. I may use some in Mom's body butter she likes for her dry hands. I also need to pick a bunch for one of Mom's friends and send it. She doesn't have any cottonwoods around where she lives. Mom remembered I complain about snowdrifts of cottonwood fluff every spring. I even left the saplings in the gravel out back this year. I'll pull them after I pick buds.

Seems like a lot of useful things take a lot of time to make. Most of the instructions for Balm of Gilead say to steep it in oil 6 weeks. My jars of lichen take three months before I can use them as a dye.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plaintain is used the same way. I use it as a tea rinse for itching and stings. Or soak leaves and use as a paste. Fresh leaves you pulverize with a bit of water, or chew if outside.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Potted 2 rooted pineapple sage cuttings. Have a tiny little basil cutting that is putting out roots. Sowed egg plant, 3 varieties of sweet pepper, some salvia and hibiscus. Have some radish, kale, lettuce, claytonia, and mache seed ready to go out in the greenhouse.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I find that one of the most useful seedling containers is the cheap styrofoam cups. The seedlings seem to grow very well in the cups, perhaps b/c the roots are "insulated" and the cups hold a good amount of soil?
We did the same. They are the perfect size and it's easy to get the seedlings out of them when the time comes.

I'm not even thinking about gardening yet.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Why is it: When I plant a bunch of seeds:

I must poke the soil a dozen times/day. Is the soil moist enough? Has it dried out since I poked it an hour ago? Is the soil warm enough? Do I need to move those seed pots closer to the wood stove, farther away?

I must grab the magnifying glass, and do a daily check to see if anything has sprouted?

When the seedlings start to sprout, I must COUNT THEM multiple times/day. Have any more sprouted since I checked 15 minutes ago?

I spend way too much time holding little pots of soil up close to my face, and peering hopefully at the moist potting soil.

Dear Abby, do I have a problem?

Latest posts