Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That sounds like a reasonable cost. They will last forever. Will you fill the center of the blocks with sand or some other material, or will you leave them empty. Are you going to dry stack, or mortar them? Are you setting them in, laying them on top, laying on a sand bed, or just on soil? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the area will be stripped of topsoil and leveled with limestone gravel. Concrete foundation poured - using a builders level to make sure it is perfectly level. Blocks will be set with mortar.
DH is an engineer - 'nuff said, lol.

Not sure about filling the blocks. Filling with sand will be inviting ants to move in, filling with concrete $$, leaving empty may invite bees/hornets nests. Any suggestions? pros and cons of filling the blocks.

He suggested doing a skim coat on them next year so I can decorate them however I want. I am thinking of making shapes with all the d### grape vines that I am ripping out this year and using those as decor for now.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
the area will be stripped of topsoil and leveled with limestone gravel. Concrete foundation poured - using a builders level to make sure it is perfectly level. Blocks will be set with mortar.
DH is an engineer - 'nuff said, lol.

Not sure about filling the blocks. Filling with sand will be inviting ants to move in, filling with concrete $$, leaving empty may invite bees/hornets nests. Any suggestions? pros and cons of filling the blocks.

He suggested doing a skim coat on them next year so I can decorate them however I want. I am thinking of making shapes with all the d### grape vines that I am ripping out this year and using those as decor for now.

They sell those thin solid solid block that you could mortor in and lay over top. Would be a nice flat surface to sit

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Even with the cappers, insects will find their way inside the blocks, since they can enter the tiniest of cracks. I think I'd leave the cap stones loose, so that if an invasion of yellow jackets or other nasties find their way inside the walls, the caps can be removed and the creepies mechanically removed.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I planted one bed in greenhouse. Some of the lettuce plants that have survived the winter, in spite of being nibbled by mice/voles are putting on some size. Those, along with some seed sprouting from that sown last fall, and the radish seed I sowed today will have us eating fresh salads by mid April. Most folks don't even sow their gardens here until Memorial Day!

Planted today: lettuce, kale, sugar snaps, spinach, mache, potatoes, carrots.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I planted one bed in greenhouse. Some of the lettuce plants that have survived the winter, in spite of being nibbled by mice/voles are putting on some size. Those, along with some seed sprouting from that sown last fall, and the radish seed I sowed today will have us eating fresh salads by mid April. Most folks don't even sow their gardens here until Memorial Day!

Planted today: lettuce, kale, sugar snaps, spinach, mache, potatoes, carrots.

Awesome... I bet its nice to have a green house. Especially up there in the frozen tundra of Moose Jaw.