Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I actually have a photo somewhere of a baby moose standing about 15' in front of my front door. when I showed the photo, I told the story that the baby came knocking on the front door looking for Oreo Cookies. I don't know if anyone believed me. Mama sunk into the mud on my side lawn about 12" deep. Baby only sunk 5".

Green house is in desperate need of some electric, auto venting. It quickly overheats. Some day...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got a wheelbarrow load of compost from the coop to add to what I'm currently planting in the garden, but the actual composted material was slim and very deep. Bad DL methods on my part and I won't make THAT mistake again. Most of what I have is a thick, compact pile of molded leaves in there.

Got rows of lettuce planted, radishes, napa cabbage, chard, radishes, turnips, and green onions. Next I'll prep the rhubarb, strawberry and asparagus bed for planting...those are all soaking in a bucket prior to planting.

Before planting those, the spuds are going in the ground, then the new raspberry plants. When I come back next week I'll put the raised bed walls around those places and layer in some hay and leaves to keep them moist. I'll put a light layer of hay over all beds and plantings tonight so that they stay moist until I can finish. Supposed to get some rain this weekend, so that will help things get started growing.

I hope I have plenty of space in the garden after the corn and tomatoes are in place, as I have a lot of peppers I want to plant for some hot pepper jam. I also want to leave some spaces for August sowing of lettuces that will be for winter harvesting.

Got the Mantis up and running and finding some very black soil on the surface of the garden...that little cultivator doesn't work too deep and I love that. It also can get between narrow rows and spaces, which makes it ideal for a small garden. That's the first tilling this garden has had in 3-4 yrs now.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Partially pruned my apple trees. Saved some scion wood just in case someone local wants some scions from my cultivars. I may cross graft, just for the practice. Need a good saw to finish pruning the fruit trees. Cleaned out one flower bed, tossed some of the Silver Mound Artemesia clippings in the coop. Didn't want to use too much b/c it's so pungent, even after spending the winter under snow and ice. All the rest of the stuff clipped out of that bed went into DL in the chicken run.

Chickens are free ranging, and the snow pack has finally melted enough that they can get into the woods at edge of yard. They are having fun shuffling through the leaves, and have already decimated one ant nest. 4 - 5" of ice under the snow pack in the yard.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Cleaned out one flower bed, tossed some of the Silver Mound Artemesia clippings in the coop. Didn't want to use too much b/c it's so pungent, even after spending the winter under snow and ice. All the rest of the stuff clipped out of that bed went into DL in the chicken run.

Feel good to be out working in the gardens again? This is the time you've been praying for all winter long, LG! :woot

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tomatoes are continuing to pop up. Still early yet. The temp goes down to mid 60's at night, then up to mid 80's during the day when the lights and heating pad are turned back on. Perhaps I'll put the HP on a different switch so it can stay on all night. Need to encourage that old seed to put in an appearance.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I decided yesterday afternoon to make a start on cleaning my garden beds. Instead I spent a frustrating few minutes trying (and failing) to find my garden fork :barnie I need to head out there and search again. Big backyard + DS can't leave anything where he finds it = :he

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's supposed to rain all weekend so maybe by the end of it I'll be able to see my garden!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We got a little rain this morning - but only a sprinkle. I could use a tiny bit of rain to soften the garden turned pig pen about to be turned back to garden.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The snow has finally disappeared from the garden area. Now I just need the frost to get lost! I didn't get the last of the plastic cover off the tomatos last fall before it froze down, so now I get to pull that out of there, along with the last of the tomato cages and tomato plants.
the coming rainy days in April will be spent starting seeds and Straightening tomato cages, lol.
I think I will put the zuchinni and lettuce where the tomatos were last year; the onions will go in where the corn was, the tomatoes will go down the center where I haven't planted anything in 2 years; carrots, spinach where the peas were and peas and beans where the onions failed horribly.