Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not much! Planted some Rouge Vif Detampes pumpkins~only two, like last year, as these vines can take over a garden completely. It's lovely and they don't hurt any other plants but they are like Audrey II when it comes to spreading out and climbing fences. :th

Also planted some Crimson sweet watermelons...just 4, as watermelon tends to not do well in my clay soils.

Planted another tray of lettuce, Cos Romaine, Jericho and then a little spinach. These will go out in the tunnel when sprouted enough. I want to have succession plantings of lettuce going all spring and summer, with a winter crop all ready to harvest all winter long.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I soaked some bean seed and am letting them sprout before planting. I thought I was getting 2 packages of Kentucky Wonder pole beans but when I dumped them in the glass of water I knew something wasn't right. It turns out one is Kentucky Wonder and one is Kentucky Blue pole bean. I will separate them when I plant so I can tell which one does better.

Has anyone tried Kentucky Blue before? May I will have a new favorite. I'll be glad to have green beans no matter. I have planted pintos and picked as green beans and they are really yummy. I did have to string them but I kind of enjoy sitting around and string beans. I some people don't or don't have the time. I still think I may plant some anyway because they are seriously good tasting snap beans for those who've never tried them.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH and I covered the tomato and cucumber plants. We have frost advisory, forecasted low 35 - 39 depending on who you ask. The green grass clipping mulch is still warm and piled up in an 8" tall ring around the plants with a sheet or blanket on top. I think they're going to be okay!

I hope our apple tree is okay! We haven't had apples for 2 years in a row because of late frost while it was in bloom. It's blooming now... :fl

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sent Sumi some pumpkin seeds today....shoulda seen the confusion at the Post Office over an envelope of seeds being sent to Ireland! :lol: Hope they get through customs! The forms they had on the computer didn't have spaces for sending to a country with no PO box, no zip codes, no state, etc. You'd think they would have encountered something like that before and would have the appropriate program in place. o_O

Spent a good part of the day in son's garden, trying to eliminate Bermuda grass and bindweed, putting down landscaping fabric in certain places to help with that. Also put up a small low tunnel at his place for lettuce, broccoli, etc.

The rest of the day was spent helping him with fashioning large gates for his back yard~they live in town and have little privacy, so privacy type gates were put in.

Latest posts