Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hiked down the railroad tracks to see if any of the thimbleberry plants had come back from the county hacking all underbrush down two years ago. Then grass grew up and died creating a thick thatch.

There were a few here and there. It will take a decade or more for them to come back like before.

I looked up propagation methods. Only thing I could try at the moment is greenwood cuttings so I took several. It's not the prefered method and doesn't have a high success rate. Hopefull a couple will take.

I'll go back down in November after they go dormant and take rhizome cuttings which work better.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Put up a 20' trellis for the cucurbits planted in the flower bed to grow on. They now need some heavy rope to climb.

Absolutely gorgeous day outside. Myst get out there and enjoy it. Hubby and I heading to town for appointments this afternoon.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finally it's dry enough to work in the garden. Honestly I am very surprised my tomatoes didn't drown and are alive and blooming and even have some small green tomatoes growing.

After tilling in between the rows and pulling weeds under the tomatoes. I found they were air rooting. So I fertilized with 12-12-12 on each side of the row, as close as I could get to the tomatoes and raked a hill up over them and the fertilizer. They should take off next rain. But again I'm still very surprised they are alive at all. Most all my spring veggies rotted away. Just a bad garden year for spring veggies here in southern IL.
IMG_20190714_201613925.jpg

What else but more rain on the way? It's the greenest summer I can ever remember.
Screenshot_2019-07-14-20-45-58.png

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Totally worn out, fried, feel like I've been in a knock down drag out brawl, then left to fry on a hot tarred parking lot! Raised the deck of the push mower, finished clearing all the greens from around the electronet path, reset the electronet. I can't figure out why I end up having to re configure the run every time I re-set the electronet. It seems like the stuff grows! Dug a trench for the sugar snaps. soil is nice and moist under the wood chips. Dug first potatoes. We'll have those for supper tonight, boiled with some onions, garlic, sugar snaps. All from the garden. I'll add some eggs (thank you girls!) and a bit of cottage cheese.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
.....and the squirrel posse ate my radishes in the pot by the garage. Lololol

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I crowd my rows closer. I like your wider spacing. But, I tend to crowd things to get more bang for the buck with my garden footprint. Does make it more difficult to move around. I tend to plant in "blocks" and beds.

Potatoes are planted 8 - 12" apart, with 2 rows 14" apart, then a 32" path, followed by 2 more rows. This allows me to get down the center between the 2 groups for bug control, mulching and early harvest.

When I do corn and potatoes together, I do the 2 + 2 (row) method, alternating potatoes and corn. Or sometimes 2 corn, 1 potato, 2 corn... Those 2 plants make fantastic garden buddies!

If you have abundant space, that certainly makes it easier to allow more space between rows. I envy these folks who can put their garden in the middle of a huge block of land... not at all encumbered by space restrictions.