CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today, I pulled up most of my tomato plants and the last of my squash. It was just to dry for them. But, I also picked our first watermelon of the season. I don't know how they grew so big with as little rain as we have had but this watermelon was massive! I have 5 more in the garden, but not as big. Not bad from just one plant!!! I'm definitely saving seeds for next year.
This watermelon was shared with 4 more families, and we still have plenty. I love how God provides for all of us here in this little valley!
View attachment 12066 View attachment 12067

Nice melon :ep. By mistake my son found that watermelon do best when they have to find their own water. I know it sounds like a oxymoron (watermelon) but they turn out sweeter and bigger if you leave them be, than if you regularly water then.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was getting worried about the Pacific crabapples ripening this year. It isn't a big crop this year. Those are every other year usually. Thankfully the ones that came up out in some of the marginal areas after we bought this place are now starting to get old enough to fruit. Some actually had a few apple clusters this year. It takes so long for full size native trees to mature. Not that they are big trees.

I picked all the lower apple clusters and will be making jelly tomorrow.

20190902_180923.jpg

20190902_182317.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I was about 10, a neighbor had a big crabapple tree in her yard. Her kids & I used to climb it. We'd pick those things and she'd make jelly. It was good. Good memories.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's true...with prices and quantities. Heck eggplant is 1.42lb...know what one weighs? I've had days when I've gone out and picked $100 worth! :lol: Plus, nothing in that store will TASTE as good as that vine ripe tomato. YUM!

And Okra --- that stuff is like $4 a lb. :D I don't even eat it. But, used to grow some for a friend. Green peppers were $.79 each, not organic...the colored ones double that price. Just a couple plants in a pot save a lot of $$ if you eat that item. I found out that you can buy seeds with food stamp $. Finally, the government has gotten some common sense. :)

There we go, preaching to the choir.