Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Finally, all 4 RB are in place. But, I need to cut and scorch/stain 6 more pieces of wood to finish the support for the first bed. It shouldn't be too difficult to trench where they need to go, then screw them in place. I finally came in for lunch at 4:15! I'm a tired puppy. Chickens helped with this project. Unfortunately, their idea of help: Jump in every hole I dig. March back and forth across my twine bed markers, tangling feet, knocking over fiberglass posts. Work at filling every hole, and moving the soil from where I put it. "Hey, girls... I put that soil there because, that's where it needs to be!" Now, to get Gary's inspection regarding spacing and leveling before I start to trench soil out of paths and move it into the beds. Then... Gotta get that garlic and a few experimental potatoes in the ground.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
more gardens to try to finish off getting ready for winter today. more to go. but with forecast of rain this afternoon i will only get two or three done. that is ok. one thing at a time is one of my mottos (along with "Don't look down." and "I can't hear you!")... need to get outside now so i hope everyone has a good day. :)

mischief

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Finally, all 4 RB are in place. But, I need to cut and scorch/stain 6 more pieces of wood to finish the support for the first bed. It shouldn't be too difficult to trench where they need to go, then screw them in place. I finally came in for lunch at 4:15! I'm a tired puppy. Chickens helped with this project. Unfortunately, their idea of help: Jump in every hole I dig. March back and forth across my twine bed markers, tangling feet, knocking over fiberglass posts. Work at filling every hole, and moving the soil from where I put it. "Hey, girls... I put that soil there because, that's where it needs to be!" Now, to get Gary's inspection regarding spacing and leveling before I start to trench soil out of paths and move it into the beds. Then... Gotta get that garlic and a few experimental potatoes in the ground.
At least they didnt stick their necks in just where you are about to slam the spade down to make the next hole like mine use to do.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
At least they didnt stick their necks in just where you are about to slam the spade down to make the next hole like mine use to do.

looking for new tasty morsels? :) that for me would be a quick way to "used to" as they'd likely end up getting their heads chopped off... :(

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
was able to putter in a few gardens yesterday and hope to be able to get out again today. not dry enough to work on the big project but at least i could tidy up some of the mess i'd already made so it is more presentable. and moved some rocks...

today if all goes well i can get a small garden cleaned up and maybe move some more rocks.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when we were driving back today it was sunny and warm, so when i'd had a bit of a snack and a few minutes to rest my back i got the stirrup hoe out and went out to skim through the North garden that has some grass and mouse eared chickweed growing in there. 1500 square feet (or so) in just a bit less than an hour. it was mostly mud and frozen below 6 inches or so, but the surface i could skim and get the grass and other weeds disturbed. there were a lot of deer tracks in there but not much for them to eat in that garden other than a few strawberry plants. the comfrey had already died back completely.

not too often i've done any gardening on Dec 26th... :) felt good though to move and work a bit of a sweat up.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
going back outside today to harvest some of those grass clumps to start another worm bucket. i could bury these clumps in the ground, but i decided to just bring 'em in because i can use some extra capacity this season to digest a lot of paper shredding. :) thus a problem becomes a solution...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
did another round today to clean up what i couldn't get done yesterday. considering i never expected to get to this at all and would be out chasing all those same weeds this coming spring it's a nice bonus. and yes some of those grass plants had seeds on them already! the worms get to deal with those... worm food goodies for the buckets. :)