Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Garden is giving up it's frost! I was able to fork up an area on the S side of one of the RB today. Have a clear shallow tote and a couple milk jugs over that spot, with intent of planting some greens tomorrow.

Goliath (the roo) brought his ladies into the garden to check things out. They worked over my compost pile a bit... till a huge hawk or osprey flew overhead. Then he led the flock back to safety.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got my tiller going - thanks DS! I want to get the in-ground garden going. My big tubs are mostly filled and things are perking along. My 4 raised beds are filled and things are doing well. I'll harvest the fall-planted carrots today hopefully and get them canned. That'll free up space for something else.

I'm a bit worried here because I'm already seeing bugs that I don't usually see until May. But, I have a big brand new batch of cover cloth that will very likely pay for itself this year!

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked a box of pears and gave it to my neighbour as he walked home from the pub. I could tell the time on that guy! The pears are so nice. There are still a few on the tree, I lost about half to birds but its still plentiful. We are getting a stimulus payment out here so I am debating if I spend it on a pump for the pond or new nets. I wont need the nets til nearer the end of the year so I am leaning towards the pond pump. I'd love to get the aquaponics started, I am just not confident in myself to do it.

I planted some carrot and parsley seeds, watered a few of the baby seedlings, but the rest should be ok with 10ml of rain and humidity over the last few days. I also have a lot of bugs around. The ducks are being pretty slack with hunting, preferring to wait for pellets! There is plenty of long grass around the back for them but they are just being slackers waiting for me to feed them. I am reducing their pellets so they start to take the grass and weeds out, and hopefully a few bugs too!

My two old chickens are doing good when I move a pot they run over to get the bugs underneath. I expect one should be laying but I haven't found where. I plan to plant a few more seeds over the coming days, I have to remember to care for them! The dill popped up with little fussing from me, so I hope the rest do too.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Picked and ate some juicy rhubarb, scuffed up some weed seedlings out of the wood chips, fashioned a new garden gate out of an old section of picket fence.

It frosted heavy here last night and supposed to do it all again tonight, but nothing looks the worse for wear out there. The lettuce and other greens seem to love this cold weather, of course.
The whole family just stayed home, the scare of the coronavirus is really at a scare now. be careful all.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Picked and ate some juicy rhubarb, scuffed up some weed seedlings out of the wood chips, fashioned a new garden gate out of an old section of picket fence.

It frosted heavy here last night and supposed to do it all again tonight, but nothing looks the worse for wear out there. The lettuce and other greens seem to love this cold weather, of course.
I have tons of plans in my garden today. but because of the coronavirus scare. I did absolutely nothing.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Been putting up free 10 ft skids around the garden to reinforce the old fencing as well as extending the space a bit to encompass apple tree saplings. That extended space will be devoted to things that look good and provide bee food....perennial flowers and shrubs, as well as a small water reservoir for the ducks and bees.

Will continue to work on that fencing so I can get a cover crop sowed there asap.

1584549858148.png

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yeah, the garden is probably better than being indoors. exercise and fresh air. :)
That's my motto! I've been tilling for a couple of days. It's only taken me that long because my tiller is old and complains, lol. (or is it really ME that's old and complains? LOL) If I get out there and rake up some rows/beds I can start planting - YAY.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yeah, the garden is probably better than being indoors. :) exercise and fresh air. :)
It's been documented that there is something in fresh air that is inimical to a lot of bad bugs. I used to think it was the UV from the sunshine, but that isn't all of it because well ventilated rooms have the same effect.