flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's been documented that there is something in fresh air that is inimical to a lot of bad bugs. I used to think it was the UV from the sunshine, but that isn't all of it because well ventilated rooms have the same effect.

it could also just be the simple math of it, more volume means fewer bugs. UV for sure is always going to make a difference, beyond that the surfaces are also different, i think that makes a big change, if you get a bit of snot spray on the bark of a tree it's not too likely that anyone is actually going to touch that and it would be rougher than a hand rail or door knob. just seems like a lot of common sense to me...

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hot again here so I watered the plants. Separated the adult ducks from the ducklings this morning, the ducklings are about 8 weeks old now. It was much easier than I anticipated. I grabbed 2 of the girl babies and put them in with the adults in the afternoon. So now I have my "keep" flock, 3 girls and the old drake. There sounds like there is one more girl in with the rest but I am not entirely sure yet. The sun was going down so finding out is a job for another day.

They are very fat ducks, which makes me feel better about limiting their pellets a bit. It will be hot this week too.

The sunflowers are going well. I hope the biggest ones give me some seeds, before the birds find them!

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's finally warming up so i get to start prepping my garden beds and building one in the back of my house. It's still getting down to freezing temps at night but it is getting up into the mid to high 50s during the day.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have peas blooming!!!
7ACCD0F2-A510-485D-A97A-6D6DF6BE9825.jpeg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Zone 9... how do you tell it's spring? lol

I started some seeds, then realized I was completely out of bell pepper seeds. Luckily, DS needed to go into town to use up his Snap card before the end of the month, so he picked up some for me, as well as some Lemon Cuke seeds which he loves. Back to starting seeds.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I moved a little splash pool over the winter garden bed and filled it up. I caught two more of the young girl ducks, bringing the number of girls up to 5. I am pretty sure the rest are boys. They were very noisy this morning and it was very early so I hope my neighbours are deaf! I watered the back garden and moved a few pots around ready to fill and plant in. New moon today and my energy is sapped, so any more jobs will be for another day.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Walking and dreaming of things to come. Poking around in the deep black soil, much to the pleasure of the foraging chickens.

Washed and bleached my seedling trays yesterday. Filled 3 trays with potting soil today. Next up, sow some seeds.

Went to town and picked up potato sets. I'll be planting a lot of spuds this year, in spite of the fact that I really don't have a lot of room. Need to get creative. Plan is to do double rows in the sheet composting area, which was scalped of any benefit of compost by an exuberant friend showing off his Kubota. I'll rake in some fertilizer, lay out the seed pieces, and cover with hay. Still several weeks before I can safely plant them.

I have lettuce making a great showing under the rubbermaid bin. Nothing showing under the milk jugs yet. But... here it is not even the end of March, and I have radish and lettuce up!