frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today I planted potatoes. Does anybody plant by moon signs? According to moon signs I should've waited more than a week. I didn't wait. I wanted them 'taters in the ground, lol! But, I've never really planted by moon signs in the past so I dunno if it will be a big deal or not. :idunno

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today I planted potatoes. Does anybody plant by moon signs? According to moon signs I should've waited more than a week. I didn't wait. I wanted them 'taters in the ground, lol! But, I've never really planted by moon signs in the past so I dunno if it will be a big deal or not. :idunno

I loosely go by this - https://au.rhythmofnature.net/lunar-calendar
I find the watering guide useful in summer, and I try to plant at the advised time but sometimes I get excited too and just do it when the mood hits :D I think it has some merit, but by no means law. Goodluck for the tatoes!

Today I filled up all those pots and planted seeds in some. I have pots all over the place now, some out the front, some along the side, some along the fence and a bunch out the back on a rack. I have a lot of bugs so I don't expect all to take and I am extremely useless at remembering to care for seedlings, but we'll see how it goes. This thread keeps me motivated.

I had a little improvised green house near the front fence, just a black box with a clear lid. Unfortunately summer disintegrated the lid so I am thinking I might wrap it in glad wrap if I cant find another :lol: it grew wonderful lettuce and basil last year and I barely had to water or check it at all. Plus, it was sealed so no bugs or grubs got in.

I found a hydroponic solution I brought a while back and I will give that another go. I pulled out a fading watermellon seedling and will give that a chance, if it doesn't work I'll just switch it out, no loss as it was on its way out anyway. I have put a heck of a lot of parsley and carrots in as they bugs don't seem to touch them, while my bunnies love them. And some rocket but I didn't much like that type I grew, nor did the bugs or the bunnies!

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Picked and ate some juicy rhubarb, scuffed up some weed seedlings out of the wood chips, fashioned a new garden gate out of an old section of picket fence.

It frosted heavy here last night and supposed to do it all again tonight, but nothing looks the worse for wear out there. The lettuce and other greens seem to love this cold weather, of course.
How to Put the Garden Under Your Child's Responsibility, Teach them the Uninteresting Lessons First, Establish Their Roles, Let Them Play In The Dirt, Let Them Play With Bugs, Use The Plants for Practical Purposes, Monitor Their Progress, Gardening for Children is Fun.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

never in my life have i planted by moon signs. i plant by how warm the soil is getting and by the weather forecast. right now it is still too cold to plant much of any of the warmer weather crops. this is the time of the season when i have a chance to get a week or two of work in on various projects before planting starts to get going.

we had a frost last night and the night before.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll. I've never planted by moon signs either...was just wondering if others do.

I've got a few more things that have broke ground. Cucumbers are up and both varieties of the Chinese Long beans.

Started mulching with some feed sacks but it's really hard to do with one person and strong breezes. I guess I can wait until it's 100 degrees and there's not even the slightest hint of air movement. By then it'll be so humid that the bags will wilt in place and won't even have to be tethered down. Looking forward to that!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I sowed a raised bed with mesclun, arugula, lettuce, and spinach. I also planted my deep bed with onion plants. This is the first time I have ever started onions. They were small, but it's time to put them out and I did not want to transplant them.

We also cut 50 lbs. of seed potatoes tonight too. Planting potatoes, peas, onion sets, cabbage, and broccoli tomorrow.

I need a bigger garden.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
By then it'll be so humid that the bags will wilt in place and won't even have to be tethered down. Looking forward to that!

:lol: I bet!! Certain you love that heat & humidity.....good joke.

TODAY --- I tilled what MAY turn out to be my garden...well, some of it. Bigger than I need but, others may need food from it. :idunno

It was somewhat accidental....I went out the back door heading to barn, turned to go get battery charger DS had used, to charge mower.....intending to till tomorrow (pull tiller). And there -- BEYOND my wildest dreams!! -- DS had put the disc on the tractor. Man, I jumped on that thing and worked a field that "may" become my garden. I wanted to disc, seed & drag a couple pastures....so practiced here. Love to ride the tractor! Too big but, could put corn & pumpkins in half. It's well fertilized!

Been a pasture for a while, needed reworked...may have more roots than I can clean up for garden use. Will see in a week or two. If so, I'll reseed it and move on. But, great fun to do. I'll be riding tomorrow, too.

4.4.20till1.jpg