What did you do in the garden today?

flowerbug

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
nothing yesterday, gonna go smack some more rotting pallets apart and cut up the others that aren't rotten enough. sure was/is a big mess. will feel a heck of a lot better when i'm done cleaning it all up. maybe a week or two yet. things will be getting busy sooner so i better try to finish it up quick. depends upon what the weather is like. so far it has been nice enough i'm making progress. that's about all i can ask for. :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought a pallet buster. Was delivered a couple days ago. I've not opened the box up yet. But, it will allow me to dear down pallets without destroying the wood. @Beekissed is using the same model, I think.

flowerbug

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought a pallet buster. Was delivered a couple days ago. I've not opened the box up yet. But, it will allow me to dear down pallets without destroying the wood. @Beekissed is using the same model, I think.
they're mostly rotten or in very poor condition pallets, i'm scavenging bits of good wood here or there as i can but a lot of it is just crumbly or rotted with rusty nails sticking out of it. i break out or pull what nails i can so they can go into recycling. the chunks of wood i can use as mulch or whatever might be eventually buried in a garden as i turn things under in the fall in parts of each garden.

i have about 12-16 more hours of work to go to finish the pallets up - if i'm lucky it will be less than that, but so far my luck hasn't been holding on this project. rain now and tomorrow so i get a day of rest to recover from the past few days. no major injuries or aches, but i can tell i've been doing something for a change. :)

at least i can now see the light at the end of the tunnel on this. the worst part by far was the first part where i had to get them out of the ditch and clean that mess out. this has been much easier in comparison...

Daisy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I started filling the tin garden bed. I LOVE where I have moved it to. I can see it from the kitchen window now so it will remind me to look out there for noms. I raked all the mess the ducks made into it and then dug it in a little on the back. Dug up a baby potato I must have missed last season! I am not sure about growing potatoes again as they are so cheap from the shops, my neighbours said not to bother with growing stuff like potatoes and onions here, although I have grown both before. I still have the top soil to tip in and then put the greenhouse back over it.

It was hot again today so I watered the seedlings. The radish, carrots and some more dill have poked up their heads. Kale looks close to coming up, just a little sliver of green in that pot. Nothing I put in the ground has come up, or if it has, something has eaten it. The watermellon in the hydroponic container has turned the water green... so I think that is a no go and I will have to start it again elsewhere.

I have some bulbs starting, but they may not go so well this year with the amount of mulch cover I have put out and the extra burden of ducks that are having a go at everything. Its really still a bit too hot for them to be coming up now, and I think the same for a few other flowers, they came up after the heavy rain but now are dying off with the heat.

I picked some chicory for the bunnies dinner. They love the stuff and so do I as it doesn't need much tending to! I definitely want to grow more of that.

I am wondering if I should start a journal to keep on track but I can get overwhelmed with advice or just overwhelmed with life and might get OFF track.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you get off track, just work your way back. My garden journal has gerat big 2 year holes in it, but it still has info that I go back to look at. Something is better than nothing.

Mini Horses

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Watered the pots I put seeds into a few days ago. I WATCHED my DS till the garden area that I had already disc with the tractor. It was needed and when the huge tiller he borrowed cuts off, I can't pull the thing to restart. So he said he'd till. Works for me! Ground has set for almost a week since I disc, so good day to till. And, those tines wrap the roots cut earlier....DS stops and pulls off, I bag and one less issue for me. Oh, there will be plenty to pull out as I rake & hill but, nor near as much. This is some pretty ground!

I work tomorrow but he should be done so I can get in there Sat & Sun to pound posts, set CPs and probably even get some seeds in the ground!!! :celebrate Plus weather is supposed to be good. It's unbelievable.....it's exciting. Oh, yeah, I will need to run the chicken wire at the bottom of the CP fence on one area, plus bottom of the gate. I'll get more wire/fence at TSC tomorrow on way home, along with a new lawn mower battery. Right now all is good.

I'll be social distancing in the garden all weekend. :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got paper feed bags laid down in the short tomato trellis, DH and I put mulch over them. Ready to plant now.