frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've got to get back to mulching - but I've been crazy busy with all the goats that keep popping around here!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our temp dropped back down in the 30's, the weather man is predicting a snow storm Sun. night into Monday. and we will be in the 30's all next week.
I am starting tomatoes in the sitting room with heat mats and LED shop lights.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have had a couple of nice days lately. The midges are already coming out!
The garden was calling me. I went out and cleared one of the beds of the overwintered wood chip covering, added some manure and trace minerals yesterday. I planted onion sets and discovered I hadn't bought enough. We needed some things from the store, so I swung by the feed store to see if they still had sets. They didn't; but I did find a couple of 6-packs of onion seedlings which I bought. Brought them home and carefully separated the seedlings so I could plant one to a hole, 4" apart. I actually ended up with some leftover, so they are sitting in the greenhouse until I can figure out what plants I don't absolutely need to plant so I have room for the rest of the onions. Never have enough onions!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never got there today. :idunno

Tomorrow looks hopeful. Had to do other things today and I did some walking thru pastures, ran errands, lazy day stuff.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got paper feed bags laid down in the short tomato trellis, DH and I put mulch over them. Ready to plant now.

I've been saving feed bags all winter. Will put down a layer of them under the brooder, then, put the rest, and move the used ones from brooder to garden when the last 14" melts, hopefully this week. It's time to plant peas and onions, but... the snow is not cooperating.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Snow in April. So foreign here. o_O I'm a Southerner!

Heck, I don't even like snow in winter.....surely not Spring.

ETA:
This past week I've been separating seed to direct sow and those to start plants. OK - I have been thru these packets what seems like hundreds of times in past month or so. Just cannot find some tomato & eggplant types I want to start & I AM going crazy. Yesterday, would not buy a seed or plant as I just knew I had them....well, maybe I only dreamed it. :hide You know how our mind stops working as we age and all that stuff. Still I was confident.

TODAY --- I found those seeds! Yeppers, had bound together those I wanted first and there they were in the box with all the canning lids, which was next to the other garden notes, seed, etc. A real mental confirmation!:old My mind does still function! What a relief -- finding the seeds, I mean -- now I can start those plants. There were a lot of other things I hadn't even missed yet -- ready to go in the ground. Apparently I had felt it was a year to plant drying type beans -- kidney, pinto, great northern, etc. -- because I dang sure bought a bunch on close out last yr. And it was a good choice, as it turns out. Seeds are selling out fast now and these are types that produce well, store great and will provide a lot of nutrition. It appears I was meant to garden this year in a big way. All things are leading me there, most without forethought...like why'd I till such a big area? Why all the seed & pots? Why all the pandemic? Lot of whys. Happy Easter.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Snow in April. So foreign here. o_O I'm a Southerner!

Heck, I don't even like snow in winter.....surely not Spring.

ETA:
This past week I've been separating seed to direct sow and those to start plants. OK - I have been thru these packets what seems like hundreds of times in past month or so. Just cannot find some tomato & eggplant types I want to start & I AM going crazy. Yesterday, would not buy a seed or plant as I just knew I had them....well, maybe I only dreamed it. :hide You know how our mind stops working as we age and all that stuff. Still I was confident.

TODAY --- I found those seeds! Yeppers, had bound together those I wanted first and there they were in the box with all the canning lids, which was next to the other garden notes, seed, etc. A real mental confirmation!:old My mind does still function! What a relief -- finding the seeds, I mean -- now I can start those plants. There were a lot of other things I hadn't even missed yet -- ready to go in the ground. Apparently I had felt it was a year to plant drying type beans -- kidney, pinto, great northern, etc. -- because I dang sure bought a bunch on close out last yr. And it was a good choice, as it turns out. Seeds are selling out fast now and these are types that produce well, store great and will provide a lot of nutrition. It appears I was meant to garden this year in a big way. All things are leading me there, most without forethought...like why'd I till such a big area? Why all the seed & pots? Why all the pandemic? Lot of whys. Happy Easter.

we are always happy to get more bean growers (check TEG for the bean threads :) )... who me an enabler? you jest! :) :) :)

send me a note this fall if you'd like more beans to try. i'm always happy to send them to people who want to grow them...