Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to fertilize heavy. You know you gave them enough when the leaves get dark green almost blue looking.

My seeds should be in this week. Going to do a big patch this year. if they make, I'll put a sign out front $5.00 a dozen. Probably pick off the stalks as they sell.

some of them got a little too much chicken poop. after a good watering they are showing signs of burning. not to mention I spread 3 wheel narrows of rabbit manure on it last week.

just takes a minute with natural fertilizers. they will green up

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Removed 3 CPs and replaced with more 2x4 fence, to prevent chickens from getting in the garden. Only ones in the entire surround, so just replaced rather than add an overlap to the large holes of CP. Hey, I wanted CP for the garden -- climbing plants. Those beans get heavy! Plans are to up those, any rowing, then seeds. More rain coming. Yes, again. More. Geesh. Of course, July I'll be singing another tune as I need to water a 100X100 space!

I do have extra hose and a couple spinner heads that you place on a post to water. Trickle may be desirable but, this is here and I'm using it. LOL Need to get out there....only low 70s today, perfect. It was upper 80s yesterday doing fence! Yeah, hot. Farmer tan!

Enjoyed coffee this AM watching the hens try to find their way in that had disappeared. Sure, they "could" fly up but, they just mosied on -- to scratch another area.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
just takes a minute with natural fertilizers. they will green up

I like the natural way too...I've been protecting my soil from chemicals for years now. I side dressed my corn with some compost tea a few days ago and it responded immediately. In a week or so I need to do the later planted corn patch. I staggered planting so I hope I have a longer harvest time.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
same here. We only have limited spots to grow stuff, between tall pines all around, and the property is basically cut in half by the driveway, with the well on one side and the septic system on the other. I don't like having the garden out in front where it can be seen, but this property has the house smooshed up (barely the 10' legal space) against the back fence and all the rest of the land is out in front.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Walk behind tiller (loaner) had parts missing! Couldn't run it. Had my tiller -- and it's a pull type so, mower problems. Fixed those and needed air in tires, couldn't mow or pull. Connector for air compressor to hook to tire "gone". Spent 2/3 of my day being a mechanic. An unhappy, frustrated one.

Not to be defeated, I bushhogged the worst of the yard, switched out attachments on tractor :old and re-disc that garden! Proud of myself -- determined to get it done and attachments are a PITA. Now, in cool AM, I will pound 9 posts and up 3 CPs, plant some things & call it done until the rains come & go....Friday seems promising for dry and sunny. Will plant more over weekend. FINALLY! :D I will have a garden. I will have a garden.. I WILL !!

At least I have all my seeds.