Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know I have done enough weeding for the day when I start to see weeds when my eyes are closed. I figured out the best way to hit the weeds on the driveway, pour the rest of the kettle from my morning coffee onto them, then, once cool, pour poultry mix over them. The chickens rip up the weeds while they are weak.

Watered the seedlings. They are so small still, but at least alive. Watered around the back and did some pruning. The marigolds need some water tomorrow.

I planted some more kale seeds. Not much of what I put in the ground has come up, but the ground has always grown slower than the pots.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I figured out the best way to hit the weeds on the driveway, pour the rest of the kettle from my morning coffee onto them, then, once cool, pour poultry mix over them. The chickens rip up the weeds while they are weak.
Love that idea! The chickens get some coffee with their breakfast, lol!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sowed winter squash, cucumbers, summer squash, and melons in trays to hopefully get a head start on them. I haven't done them like this before, but I am hoping for the best. Also, set out romaine lettuce plants in my raised beds. Mainly, in the open spaces. I made some manure tea too. I usually have good luck with it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rain again today. Geesh. Off now for a few and IF IT IS DRY enough, will retill tomorrow, row, mark, up supports and sow something. Otherwise, Sunday .

I worked, no need to watch it rain! Will lessen the needs for next week. May need to stay home Monday -- to plant. I refuse to give up!!!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cold, wet, raw today, yesterday, and tomorrow. Hoping for better days ahead. When I went to move tiller into garage this morning to get it out of the rain, the pull cord came off the track. So... until that's repaired (hubby did it last time) there'll be no tilling for LG!!! I was hoping to use the tiller to speed up prep of the new 8' x 48' section of the garden. Need to get that done asap so I can get potatoes in the ground.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
overcast but dry today. I covered the peas, which are sprouting, with my frost cloths, which also keep the birds away. Something dug a little in the radishes and I stuck a couple seeds back into the ground. No idea where the seeds were originally planted; so much for neat OCD rows, lol. Trying to stay on top of watering the carrot seeds; I've had bad luck with carrot germination before, so we shall see.

In town, I stopped at the nursery (yes, we still have some open, with social distancing rules in place). I picked up a ground cherry. I've never grown them, but this year I thought I'd try them. Do they need two, or is one ok?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Found seed potatoes today, so I can put those in the tubs this weekend. Little late here but, they still do ok. I'm not a big potato eater, so a couple bags/tubs is enough. Now sweets...those I love!

I have 4 old porch planters -- like you place on the rails -- found in a roadside trash pile a couple yrs ago. I'm going to use them for some herbs. They're about 1X2 and will be great for some parsley, dill, sage, basil, oregano, etc. Plus, they can actually be on my back porch. One end gets sun 2/3 of the day.. Perfect & by kitchen.

supposed to be good weather next few days and I'm home. So far, sounds promising for garden...if it's dry enough. 4.5" in last 72 hrs. 1" in a "scattered shower" late today! :th I must till once more before I can plant. May have to be Sunday? Sat is preferred but, just have to wait and see.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In town, I stopped at the nursery (yes, we still have some open, with social distancing rules in place). I picked up a ground cherry. I've never grown them, but this year I thought I'd try them. Do they need two, or is one ok?

groundcherry are self-pollinating, so one should be ok. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’ve been working for several days to put wood chips around the raised beds. Almost finished.
Before:
AF0EC525-5F6F-4BE4-8130-52F4E615FD0E.jpeg

After:
3FFC9D30-C56F-44BC-9730-79A7E2824EAD.jpeg