baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I canned beets, got 8 pints. There are more beets out there. Today I picked the last of the English peas. I got 14 (total) bags of 1 cup each in the freezer. I also pulled the onions, there were done. I set out Painted Mountain corn, it was a little sad looking, hope it perks up. We got 2 1/4" of rain this afternoon.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's amazing -- and up & down -- to see where everyone is with their gardens. Gotta LOVE we are all over the USA. LOL

I saw lima beans just breaking ground last evening. The flaming in areas I wanted growth gone looked almost perfect! Glad I have propane on hand. LOL I even hit some things in planted rows where seeds had not sprouted. YES! This may be best use of this unit I've tried...could be labor saving, not cheap. LOL

Cool & overcast day. Hope to row more, plant seed and set about 50 starteds. Squash seed I put into hill for starting and transplanting are coming along. Few more need to sprout -- I probably set them too deep, as I get a touch heavy with that. But have yellow summer, a grey and a dark zuc, all leafing well.

Found my orange sweet pepper seeds, so need to set those on paper towel into Ziploc, to sprout. They'll catch up with the red, green & yellow ready to plant....during the season, at least. Love peppers. Poblanos just sprouting...pimentos are up & going into the ground, I shudder at $1.50 per pepper for those pretty colors produce at store but, love the tastes. Getting ready to soak a few beans tonight to plant in a couple days....eventually will be harvested as dried.

Think that will keep me busy most of the day. LOL Need to do some stretches -- this back says I slept in an odd lay. :D

BUT -- milking & feed chores before garden......

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule did you sprout your for in a medium or in pots? Or what. I sometimes do a flat hill in the garden and sprout/start plants I will transplant -- did so with squash this year. Depends on plant, weather, etc. I've done tomatoes, brassicas, greens that way, also. Corn -- I'm able to direct sow with success, normally.

Peppers and beets I mostly have to do special stuff with seed.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use a lot of peat pellets. I also use 3” pots. I start the corn because crows walk down the rows pulling up the sprouts and eating the corn kernels. I lose a lot of plants, starting them. I guess I’m not a good seed mommy. But enough make it to give me what I need. Not everything I set out in the garden makes it either. Every year I have wild success and dismal loss. Eh.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I attempted to hoe the garden because the Johnson grass is already trying to take over. I quit cause I got too hot and it was only 8am. 🙁
Thinking of laying down cardboard or weedblock clothe. 🤔
Have 3 rows green beans one and a half rows tomatoes, half row of cauloflower, and 1 1/2 rows of beets.
I have four large fake terra cotta planters full of 3 types of radishes doing well and one with banana and red peppers in it. 🌶🌶
Still have room to plant other stuff but because it rained so much here til about May, and then the late frost alot of early stuff like lettuce and potatoes couldnt be planted.
Couldnt do onions either. :confused:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I attempted to hoe the garden because the Johnson grass is already trying to take over. I quit cause I got too hot and it was only 8am. 🙁
Thinking of laying down cardboard or weedblock clothe. 🤔

does weed cloth work? A picture is worth 1,000 words.

1590442903157.png

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I set out 17 eggplant plants, 4 more sad tomato plants (goat ate tops, they re leafed) and already had set out 17 week before. Saw limas sprouting....hilled, flamed weeds.

Here's a pic of flamed area, 24 hrs later. It was like surrounding and I did a sample patch. Worked well, so I flamed more today!!!

5.25.20fkaner24hrkater.jpg

admired one of the hills with squash coming up to transplant in a few days..once the others emerge & leaf.

5.25.20y.sqush sprouts (2).jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He needed to show the production of one. LOL At end I see more video. No time to watch them this AM. But always good to learn.