CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a nice sight, I counted 28 rounds. He told me it was thick, I guess he was right. I'm just happy it's gonna feed some animals. Plus no trash to mess up his equipment. I know the field was clean, since I cleaned it up and bush hogged it last fall. Maybe we might get 2 cuttings this year, if we get normal rain this summer.
IMG_20210617_164152133_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210617_164159697_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210617_164207943_HDR.jpg

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Chopped some branches off the lilly pilly. The ducks were at my feet grabbing the fruit as it dropped down and surprisingly graceful in dodging the branches.

I sort of regret not doing anything with the fruit. I picked a couple of the good ones to eat and they were beautiful and sweet and got quite large in the end, but most are on their way to rot now. And the wild birds have got well stuck into them. I still have a few branches to pull down but will let the ducks clean up the path before i do that. They have had their fill today!

I trimmed a bit of wattle back, with more to do. The branches get heavy and snap in wind and rain, which is expected on sunday. So I'll chop what I can before then.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I'm going to start a rock wall. I pulled a couple dozen rocks out of the garden that were 2 times my fist size and larger.

I'm finally getting the corn in. More squash as well. Pumpkins will be ready about Halloween if planted now.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He told me it was thick and he had to "tuft" it. From what I gather that's where the cut hay is thrown into the air, so it dries more evenly. Then he came back a day later, raked and baled.

He offered to buy my 9 rounds. But he doesn't know me at all, because if I didn't have plans to feed animals over the winter. I would have just gave the rounds to him.

9 rounds is my share
IMG_20210620_145400021_HDR.jpg

18 rounds his share. Amazingly the field is starting to get green again. Forecast rain tomorrow should help.
IMG_20210620_145457656_HDR~2.jpg

Now I need a hay spear attachment for the tractor 😊.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The corn and pole beans, which were the last things I planted, have come up, so watering can slow down a little now. Several of the beds need some mulch so that they don't dry out as quickly though. That's on the list for today.

I got the alpine strawberries moved to 3 inch pots and they seem to have taken the transfer like champs. I was a little worried since some of them were so close together that I had to pull the roots apart, which I usually avoid. DH just came in with a large handful of alpines from the two established plants, YUM. I think I will have to wait until next year to get the new plants into the ground as they seem to be very slow growers- most of them still only have one true leaf. Hopefully they will be able to weather the cold in the greenhouse even though it's unheated.

The Master Gardeners group had a plant sale last week and I bought several plants, most of which are in the ground now; but I still have a couple of them to go- a Silver Leaf Lupine and Purple Yarrow, some Oregano and Lemon Balm. I just have to find good spots for them. I want to create a protected spot for the Oregano- I did that with the Marjoram last year and it managed to overwinter for me, so maybe I can do the same with this and some rosemary.

I still haven't gotten the hops into the ground either- I want to plant it in front of the bedroom window on the south side of the house, hoping the shade will keep that room just a bit cooler when it matures.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMO, you can't kill oregano! But, Rosemary supposedly is tender. Won't overwinter if temps dip below 20*. I usually bend a few tips of rosemary down, and root them beside the mother plant. Then, I can bring those plantlets in for the winter. I've successfully over-wintered rosemary in the garage, moving it into the basement for the coldest months. I find that rosemary is finicky. Needs even watering, otherwise... it dies.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My girlfriend has a stand of rosemary that's been next to her front porch for the last 10 years or so. She lives 13 miles away- her climate is just like mine. The only difference I can see is that hers is tucked into a corner by the front porch (cement floor) and the steps (cement). I figure the cement acts as a heat sink that protects the plants from the worst of the weather. Oregano is supposed to be hardy to zone 5 and I'm in zone 6B, but I've never had any come up the following spring so I figure I will give it a spot with a corner wind/cold air shield of a couple of concrete blocks. I may not bother with the rosemary since my friend has plenty. She gives me rosemary, I give her catnip (which I can't get rid of since the one plant from 4 years ago).