frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, I'm about over chickens in the garden too...grrrr. It's always something.

BUT - drum roll please.... had my very first harvest from the garden yesterday! A radish!!! I like radishes, but DH loves 'em. So, I pulled this one in front of him, gave it a rinse in the garden hose and chomped it down, lol. I only regretted it a little bit... it was spicy!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I pointed out that there were a few more that were ready to pull so he didn't miss out for long!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to use radishes as a substitute for water chestnuts in recipes. I don't care for the taste of the water chestnuts but the radishes have lots of crunch and about the same texture cooked in dishes. Lots of people that don't like radishes raw enjoy them roasted.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grow radishes every year. Every year I have no idea what to do with them. I don't like them, turns out DH doesn't really either. I like the white ones, they're not so spicy. So this year I finally decided to fill that space in the garden with something useful and quit growing things I don't like lol. Old habits I guess!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't grow 'em if DH didn't love 'em so much. However, I do like 'em on a cracker with some butter and salt. Great snack!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Chickens found my birdseed and oats and were scratching it up. :he:barnie Free range chickens are so annoying! "This is why we can't have anything nice"

The way we have to do it here is fence out the larger garden and lay deer netting on top of the flower beds around the house and let the flowers grow up through it....pin it down with landscaping pins. Chickens HATE trying to scratch through that netting and leave it alone.