lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to get so mad because my hens would get in my window boxes and scratch out my newly planted flowers and lay eggs. I finally started laying 2X4 wire over the soil. The open wire was big enough to slip a plant in but the chickens didn't like to scratch with the wire in the way.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Today I hope to get on some weed removal operations, then planting lettuce, broccoli, carrots, pak choy and flower seedlings into the garden...doing a few low tunnels for lettuce and such this year so that I can give them shade when it gets hot and also keep bugs off them.

The tomato seedlings are starting to show up through the soil of the seedling trays. Putting them out later than usual this year due to the cold and wet spring we had last year....seems like this one is working up to being the same. Peppers will go out even later than that, as last year not a pepper produced around here until September anyway.

Hope to get squash, cukes, beans, and pumpkins planted this week, then go over to my grandgirl's garden and do the same, but first I have to finish building their garden gate arbor and wooden trellising for their porch.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's fun (or depressing?) for me to see the differences in planting seasons throughout different regions. I'm going to plant some carrots, beets, and maybe lettuce this weekend. The rest won't be until probably June1st.

We had one lone pepper last year. 4 beautiful plants, one pepper lol.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The rain is taking care of my gardening work today. When it lets up I'm going to see if that strawberry plant that the chickens decided is the sharing the latest dust bathing hot spot is worth saving (i.e. still alive).

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We hope to get our tomato and peppers planted next week. We have to wait till after Mothers day to plant them suppose to be in case of frost but we can still get frost till end of May. This year has been crazy with the weather.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree....crazy weather and I feel like my garden is out there just waiting, languishing, growing weeds and waiting. I always manage to get the garden out as early as possible around here but this year I'm waiting. Everyone who waited and got them out late last year had good gardens, those who got them out at the traditional time suffered from blight, just like us.

Trying to avoid that this year.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I feel like there aren't enough hours in the day! If I would get over my resistance to sunscreen I could be outside midday. But then again, my house isn't going to clean itself!

Hollyhock seeds arrived and I started planting. Mostly working on prepping places to plant seeds and carnations.

I ordered 50 strawberries. The day after they arrived, it snowed! I had to keep them in the package for a month, and they didn't fare well. I didn't exactly follow the care instructions, so I'm not asking for a refund. I planted them anyway and ordered 25 more. 2 of the first 50 are up. The second 25 haven't arrived yet.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I took pictures of the garden yesterday but I can't post them because the picture tech on this site is too complicated for my laziness. I also walked barefoot in the dirt and had it squishing up between my toes and I realized I have gotten really tender footed over the winter...this hillbilly can't be having all dat!!!! So anyway, I'm mad my carrots are taking so long to come up and one of my tomato plants broke in half...but I have radishes ready...too bad I hate radishes lol!!!