Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Put up a bean tee-pee. Planted some "yard long" beans under it. Any readers tried them? Struggling to keep potted plants watered enough, until I can get them into the ground. Still spots in the garden that need to be planted. Opened up a spot for Brassicas that desperately need to spread their roots. French Breakfast radish with peanut butter to round out my breakfast. Tomato plants setting buds. Picked potato bugs. The 3 striped ones are a horror to try to catch. Some squash bugs doing some damage. Up to 94* today. Too hot for man or beast.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree! Hot enough to make my hair cry! But, we got some rain and are supposed to get more the rest of the week, so I'll take it as long as we get some rain. :woot

Got home before dark, so went out and planted a flat of sweet onions and used my wonder hoe to weed the garden once again. Each rain brings a new crop of weedlings like a carpet across this garden and each time I get out the wonder hoe and mop them up. :D

Also sprinkled some epsom salts all over the gardens, just for good measure.

Noted massive bug damage to the pumpkin leaves, first time I've seen that....haven't seen a single bug, though, so not sure what's doing it. Also have worked on the cukes. After all this rain I'll hit them all with some Neem to give them a little help.

Transplanted some yellow squash to my son's BTE today and put up a trellis there at the end of his porch, weaving his massive pink honeysuckle into it and finally getting it off the ground. Need to take the wonder hoe over there next visit and banish some weeds. His flowers are taking off beautifully, especially with this rain.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried yard long beans. I grew exactly one bean. Lol I have no idea what happened, it was my first garden and I haven't tried them again.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Love to see the variance in everyone's garden -- most based on where you live -- from picking produce to just putting a plant in the ground, or being too late in their own season to even plant some things. Interesting. Just shows how spread out we are on the forum.

Adds to everyone's balance in Nature.

Hopefully I will get beans out today and my tomatoes are blooming & setting fruit. Could have been further ahead in my area but, my own delays make me late. However, my long season will still allow produce to mature. Nice.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Planted maters this morning, still have more to plant but need to put up another CP trellis. Saw a few Jap beetles on the roses today....need to get out traps and mix up some Neem oil for the apple saplings, roses and rhubarb. Those seem to get hit the hardest.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did nothing -- rained this afternoon, so didn't even have to water it! But I did check out the potatoes in bags. Time to add more dirt/straw. Will do in AM.

This was first day...6/2/17
060217002.jpg

And here they are 6/16/17....
0616171706.jpg

Of course the hope is to have potatoes, not just vines. But am happy to see good growth going on -- after all, that is the first step. First time for this method.