NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rained here too- other than a slight glance to make sure everything's growing... I did nothing!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They look very nice! I am kind of growing mine in bigger containers but same concept...but I always forget to add more compost in on top of them at that stage and then they are too big to work around to putting stuff in. One of these days I'll get it right. :he I'm sure I'd have a better yield if I added the compost and made it deeper as they grew along.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep -- that "list" of to dos! But I am going to add some in a very few minutes. I AM. I AM! It's a trial for future years.

My volunteer vines from old hog pen -- which I had hoped were going to be melons -- are showing fruits. Not melons. LOL It appears they are some type of squash, probably a winter variety. Since I threw all kinds of veggies out (donated) I could not even remember what was a part of the goodies. Doesn't matter -- I'd love any of it.

I am off today -- odd for a Saturday, normally workiing a demo -- so plan to set up and plant beans. Hope that happens. :lol: Plus I REALLY need to replace the gate on the garden area I am using. Have it here, need to hang --- right after I move the buck from the adjoining graze, so he doesn't "help".

The people who had their area ready & planted a month or so ago are harvesting big time. I'm so behind. :oops: Determined to get something going. Just accepted that I will have a smaller summer garden, nice Fall one and can do NEXT year early! Otherwise :idunnowould stop. Not an option. Gotta get out there!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
tiller at shop...it's a pull with mower type...so only HAND DIGGING. Trust me, I looked for reasons to opt out :hide. Instead, I went to a mirror and had a long talk with self. Then decided the list of few things I thought needed to go get could wait until tomorrow when I have to go to work. So I went out, dug. raked, pounded posts, hung cattle panel.

I did this 16' row.....pole limas...:celebrate Still need to mulch but it started raining pretty hard. A sign from above to stop for now. Can mulch in AM. Seeds will love the moisture. Also added more dirt to potatoes in a bag.
0617171414.jpg

See that old pool step thing in left of pic? Well, that's to use until I get the bolts to hook up the gate. They were on the list of buy, which I put off until tomorrow. With the chicken wire on the fence, can't step on boards to climb except one side. These steps were doing nothing! Works nicely.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've used old pool steps the same way! Sometimes, with some gates, it's just easier to go over! Goats have never figured 'em out and I doubt that a pig would either!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Tomorrow I hope to redo my low tunnel and add another. Will be adding some wooden frames on which to staple my row covers so I can access the tunnel easily...this will help this winter also.

Then I'll move along to redoing the remaining gates...those really need to be finished and mounted up.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rain -- 4 days in a row!! Not all day but enough to make it a "no hoe" situation. Weeds sure pull out easily!! May get out there later today and get a few out of the area I plan to add another of those dug beds -- may be able to do tomorrow as this area has a nice loose sand within it. Stay moist deep but does not make mud. Grass cutting is on hold, also.

If nothing else, I can get some tubs ready. I need to have options to be able to continue to plant & grow -- not say "that's all she wrote" and stop. Outside work sure gets in the way.:\

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nothing in the veggie garden today, but I did put some marjoram seeds in an herb container, and started to weed the flower beds around the house. Put in lavender and foxglove.

Latest posts