1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Support bar for top of run - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by Beekissed, May 9, 2017.

1. Jun 29, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Not much....hauled some compost to the garden to put in new hills for replanting of the pumpkin and squash. Made the hills, planted the seeds. Done. Just have to wait on rain now.

Tomorrow I'll arrange mini Agribon tunnels over those hills to keep those seedlings protected from the squash borer moth until they are too big to fit in the tunnels.

lcertuche likes this.
  2. Jun 29, 2017
    treerooted

treerooted Almost Self-Reliant

I think my garden may be a dud this year; so I'll live vicariously through everyone else :D!

I'm curious to see what your gardens look like, anyone have a current picture to share?

3. Jun 29, 2017
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

Mine is pathetic. Didn't do enough work in the off season I suppose! We will have beans. That's all I can guarantee this year, lol! I'm learning a lot to get ready for next year, when I vow to have a beautiful garden! So, I know how you feel!

4. Jun 30, 2017
    treerooted

Perfect; you supply the beans, I'll supply the tomatoes lol

NH Homesteader likes this.
  5. Jun 30, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

I took some today but they are pretty poor quality and too far away to see what is growing there. I put my garden in a month later than usual, so everything is still pretty small, not even sprouted yet or even still in flats, awaiting planting when they get big enough. I took it in three different shots as I don't have a wide angle lens...gotta learn to use that panoramic feature.

I'll take better ones from a different viewpoint tomorrow if I get a chance. It won't even start looking like a garden until the end of July. :D

On the trellis in this pic is cukes and beans, but I couldn't get the whole length of the trellis in the shot. Also in this shot are three yellow squash plants, rhubarb, strawberries and a lot of flowers and herbs.
    100_5873.JPG

In this shot are three of the trellises two tomato but you can't really see the maters as they are only a foot tall, and the bean and cuke trellis there in the middle. Some more rhubarb and onions as well. Under those white shapes are pepper and romaine seedlings. 100_5874.JPG

This is the right hand side of the garden showing the other tomato trellis, more rhubarb, raspberries, onions, and some pumpkins and squash seeds I just replanted today...ripped out the others due to squash borer damage. 100_5875.JPG

Slowly but surely it will all fill in with green...it's just all going to happen a month later than usual this year. :D

Oh...and here's the taters...

101_0759.JPG 101_0760.JPG

6. Jun 30, 2017
    treerooted

Amazing! That's a lot of work; it's looking great. Love the trellises :)
    What tree is growing in the middle of the potatoes?

Beekissed likes this.
  7. Jun 30, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Those are apple trees. Planted those last year and they were attacked by the Jap Beetles and then the 17 yr locusts arrived, so one has since died from the trauma...I left it in place for now so I can use that compost ring for taters.

treerooted likes this.
  8. Jul 1, 2017
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

Storm came through last night. 70mph winds. Layed all the corn down and tomatoes as well. Spent all morning staking them up. Shame, they were just starting to make ears. Hoping for a good harvest

9. Jul 1, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

So disappointing to look out and see that. If they just fell over from the roots and didn't actually break - you'll probably be fine. :fl

10. Jul 1, 2017
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

None were broken. Each one has between 2 and 3 ears. Some ears are 11 inches long but haven't finished filling in to full girth yet. Fingers crossed hoping they fill out and we get some corn in the freezer