CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wait until it's solid tan colored and hard to dent the skin with your fingernail.

Google probably has more info than me...

Honestly, I trust Google about as far as I could throw it. You can find so many different answers on Google - right / wrong and all points in between. How's a guy to know fact from fiction? I would rather just ask someone who knows - like you :) Thanks for replying.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've only grown them for two years - but for me - when the skin gets really hard that's the best clue!

Thank you - I spotted like a dozen butternut squash growing today, from outside of the garden. I'm sure there are more but my 20 x 25 mellow and squash patch is nothing but vines and leaves. I'm not sure how I'm gonna get in there yet... Maybe stilts??? I really need a third garden just for melons and squashes. Maybe next year...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's what the Baker Creek description says too, so...I'd say that's about as accurate as you'll get.

Here's my 50' okra row - pretty slow to take off. But I did see a few flowers just about ready to open. Going into the first of August we should get enough to put up for winter. I need to weed and run the tiller real shallow (cultivate) down each side of the row some time this week.

Attachments

• IMG_20170730_185044732.jpg
    IMG_20170730_185044732.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 259

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Butternut store really well if you do let the skin get hard and cut vine about 3" above the squash. The late ones you can actually leave on the vines until the vines are dying....kinda like a pumpkin field. The you can see them -- cut well above & store dark & cool. Several months store for most. I have some beauties that were volunteers in old hog pen. Dug & moved. What producers!!!

Pumpkins...chickens and goats LOVE them, esp the seeds. they know what's good! Got seeds out today for 4 kinds pumpkins...pie, field type, larger jack-o-lantern type & a funky blue/gray skinned with deep orange flesh. Plant tomorrow. Starting Fall plants for the staples...greens, late cabbage, etc.
Will sow some turnips for livestock feed & some mangel beets.
In my area they can stay in ground thru Jan most years. Pull as needed. Straw over is really cold.