Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Aliza and I planted her little garden today. Mounded up hay in the middle of the garden to make a 3 tater broad row to plant some spuds into. Joel added a goodly supply of grass clippings to that, but I cautioned him about adding more once the taters had vined up and out. He'll pile it in one corner of the garden until it cools down and I'll transfer it to that mound little bits at a time.

Then we planted a small row of sweet onions...that soil under the hay is so soft, black and rich from all the wood chips mulched down under there. A small row of green onions. Two yellow squash, 8 half runner beans to grow over the garden gate trellis. Then the rest of the garden was seeded to wild flowers and zinnias.

It oughta look like a hot mess come August! :D

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is what I found in my garden today:
tmp_6939-IMG_20180511_171634571326222.jpg
tmp_6939-IMG_20180511_201135-410603177.jpg

We'll be posting flyers tomorrow to find an owner... He's too little to have gone far unless he was dropped off.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You found a puppy? Oh my goodness… Hope you'll find it's owner soon, though it looks quite comfortable and happy in the pics already.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Fastened up raspberry canes, put more leaves in all the spud beds. Put chicken compost around the rhubarbs.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I put more zucchini seeds out to replace the munched ones and the ones that didn't come up. Dug over a row for more cauliflowers and put seeds in. Cleared some of the area I'm putting a lawn in and started digging it over. I need to continue with that today.

Earlier this week I bought another rose, a blueberry cane and a raspberry cane at our discount store, Dealz. They don't look very lively, but I paid €1.50 each, so I reckon it's worth a try.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went out and turned OFF the water sprinkler that I left ON all night! :he Thankfully it was set on 'mist' so didn't flood the place...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Was nearly 100* today, then a short thunderstorm swept through, we lost power a couple of times, then the temps dropped by 20*!

So, this amazingly cool evening, with everything just sparkling and bright, allowed me to get some things in the garden. I planted the pumpkins, most of the tomatoes, and got my hot peppers transplanted into bigger pots. They look GREAT! This is the first time I've had peppers germinate that well and also grow that well, looking as healthy as they do. I think it was placing them out on that grow table under the Agribon that really helped them stay watered evenly and also the direct exposure to sunlight for most of the day.

The tomatoes are also the healthiest looking I've ever grown too...they lost their legginess after transplanting into foam cups, so nice and thick stems, excellent color too. Usually they lack that deep and lovely green the nurseries all manage to have, but this year they are very deep green with sturdy, short stems. I grew too many, though, for the space I have to trellis them....I took down one trellis this year as I didn't intend to plant as many tomatoes~tomato soup triggers my gout, though I can eat them fresh and it doesn't seem to do that.

The rest of the things I grew in flats this year didn't do so well....lettuce, broccoli, yellow squash(didn't even germinate...could be the source of the seed, though), pak choi and napa cabbage...both of these are much more stunted than normal. I'll get them all into the ground come Wed. if the Lord wills it, then plant all of these from seed directly into the garden from now on.

So, as of now, in the garden I have all my sweet onions, some green onions, all my taters, pumpkins, tomatoes, Fortex and half runner beans, some flowers, and even a few starts of celery that were planted from the stumps of store bought celery. They seem to be doing quite well and will do even better if we continue to get rains. I have sugar snap peas out there also but they are pathetic, as per usual, so will not produce anything. Last year's enormous and lovely pea crop must have been a one off.

Then I have all my usual perennials~chives, garlic(doing the best it's ever done out there....so much for wood chips, huh? Hay is king!), asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries, herbs, and such.

I'll tell you this much....I NEVER saw this many worms from using the wood chips. Every single scoop of earth yields giant earthworms, healthy looking things and lots of them. I'm loving this hay....this time last year my garden was covered like a carpet with small weed seedlings. Right now I have a few pieces of hay/grass sticking up, which are easily vanquished by plopping a flake of hay on them. Easy peasy.

Need to plant marigolds and more zinnias. Need to build another CP "cage" for the other peony...they are growing fast and will have LOTS of bloom this year, for which I'm so thankful!!!! Also need to put up some deer netting around the flower beds so the chickens won't scratch up my zinnias before they can grow.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My vegetable garden needs a spot of weeding, but until I have the lawn sorted, I'm putting everything else off. I'm trying to get the area dug over, but after doing a fair piece this morning, I am exhausted and very unenthusiastic about finishing up out there. Maybe I'll feel more like it in another 30 minutes or so.

I bought a packet of assorted sweet peas, which I plan to sow along the stone wall along with some Irish wildflower seeds.