Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We went and fetched some square bales of mulch hay yesterday so I can use some for weed control in the garden, as well as for fresh bedding for the animals. Also spread 4 bales on Joel's BTE garden as the hay I had spread there in the fall has mulched down so far as to be thin in spots, where creeping Charlie was coming through the cover.

Planted some purple top turnips today, as well as some rainbow carrots, yellow crook neck and spaghetti squash, and sunflowers. For now, the garden is fully planted except for a few pepper plants that will need to be replaced and some flower seedlings I'll put out when they have grown big enough.

I'll plant another low tunnel of greens here soon for our salad needs but won't be planting much more of anything until Aug. when all the low tunnels will be planted for winter harvesting.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We lucked out today. I went to the feedstore and they were giving away all the plants. I left with 3 or 4 flats of tomatoes squash and peppers. Gave alot away and planted ALOT. Still have another flat to deal with tomorrow. Running out of room.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader , check with your local city. We have a place where the city brings all their green stuff. They compost it, and it's free. We're allowed to go get it by the truckload, and they load it free. Rich, BLACK dirt. My neighbor just got a dump truck load. I'm planning on going Tuesday if I don't get rained out.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It finally rained and rained well. 05:30am I got woken up by a rare (for Ireland) thunderstorm and some good rain. It didn't last very long, but it rained well and it looks like we're in for more today. So glad I got all the seeds in that I needed to sow still. I weeded the garden a bit yesterday, just enough to tidy it up some and get rid of the thistles that keeps getting me when I go out to water.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Local city? What's that? Lol, we live pretty far from any cities. But that's really cool! I've never heard of anything like that.

I only started a couple seeds this year. Which is a good thing... Because I brought them outside the other day to start acclimating them... And forgot about them. They're all dead. Good gardening start this year huh? Lol!! I planned to buy tomato plants anyway, good thing!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, Sumi! We have been blessed over and over again here. "Exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think"!:)

"Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
Unto him be glory in the church by Jesus Christ throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BarredBuff it looks like you should get all the rain you want this week. That tropical crap is coming up from FL panhandle. Should get you some -- seems it will supply my area with more, also. Not that I feel I want it right now!!!

I am HOPING that DS will have tilled for me by time I get home today. However, it is supposed to rain late day and may not get to it -- depends on how long it takes for him to fix a section of fence that came down (with a little help from a mini stallion and a large goat buck and a rotted post:(). Such is life and I can only hope for the best. Even the fence back in shape will be wonderful.

Here alone, sometimes his priorities for work are not the same as mine because he does not do this everyday.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
A cut worm is taking out most of my hot pepper seedlings. With rain every day, there's not much I can put on or around those plants to deter the pest I cannot see. They are planted into black fabric, so it could be anywhere under that stuff, hiding inside the hay.

And I was so proud of those plants!!! First ever success in growing a whole tray of peppers from seed.